tar -Mzcvf /dev/fd0 doesn't work!

Post by Alex Ram » Thu, 03 Mar 1994 13:19:54

I'm using GNU tar, and I would *really* like to have the -M and -z
options combined. Is there a way to do it?

Louisiana Tech University BSEE/Sr  * All rights reserved. No warranty, etc

Post by I-Fei Ts » Tue, 08 Mar 1994 23:31:19

: I'm using GNU tar, and I would *really* like to have the -M and -z
: options combined. Is there a way to do it?

        I could use (1.2M floppy):

        % tar -cvf /dev/fd0a -MzL 1200

        to tar my files into multi-volume floppies, but when I do

        % tar -xvpf /dev/fd0a -MzL 1200

        some times my file got corrupt at the "volume boundary", and tar says
        "Can't extract 'filename' -- file is continued from another volume"
        Any help ?

-- Ming

1. Need Help: 'tar xvMf /dev/fd0 foo' not working properly

Hello everybody,

   I am trying to backup some of my files using floppy disks. I use the
command:
 "tar cvfM /dev/fd0 foo"
 for archiving one of my files and this uses two floppies, #1 and #2.
   For extracting my file I use the command:
 "tar xvfM /dev/fd0"
 which after extracting the first part of the archived file on disk #1
asks
 for disk #2. But when I insert disk #2 I receive the error message:
 "tar: Cannot extract `foo' -- file is continued from another volume".
   This error continues until, in another window, I mount /dev/fd0 on a
 directory and unmount it. Here the first time I mount the /dev/fd0 I
get the
 following error:
 "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
  or too many mounted file systems",
 but in the second attempt the directory is mounted and after
unmounting, tar
 extracts the second part of the file `foo' on disk #2.
   Another problem that may be related to this is that if my floppy is
write
 protected and I try to mount it read-write, I receive an error message
and
 after closing the write-protect hole of the floppy I still cannot mount
 read-write file system on /dev/fd0 unless I restart the computer.
    Any help is gratefully appreciated.
    Please send a copy of your reply to my email box, if possible.

   Best wishes - Hossein

2. threads in linux

3. how to boot from /dev/fd0 and mount /dev/fd0 as root

4. Missing bzImage file

5. mcopy didn't work in Red Hat until `# chmod o+w /dev/fd0'

6. Kthememgr vindicated?

7. BUG: 'tar +help' doesn't work with libc.so.4.4!!

8. Ping utility?

9. why doesn't 'tar' work?

10. Even 'cat file >/dev/lp0' doesn't work

11. TOSS_OUTPUT=' >/dev/null' doesn't work

12. /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 /dev/scd0 problems

13. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work