How can a unix process start a DOS-application ?

How can a unix process start a DOS-application ?

Post by Michael Holterman » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

How can I start a DOS-application at a DOS-PC from a workstation running
UNIX ? Workstation and PC are connected by a TCP/IP-network.
Have anyone an idea ?

Michael

Post by David Hil » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

: How can I start a DOS-application at a DOS-PC from a workstation running
: UNIX ? Workstation and PC are connected by a TCP/IP-network.
: Have anyone an idea ?

  not the best idea, but...

  have the PC check for the existence of a file on a NFS mounted drive,
  it the file exists, it runs your DOS app, if it doesn't, it goes back to
  sleep for (x seconds) and then checks again.   On the Unix box you can
  create the file that the PC is looking for at any time (ie. touch file).

  We do something similar to this to trigger weekend jobs on DOS boxes from
  our Unix servers using a cron job.

  I also think PC-NFS Pro2 had a DOS-Telnet server option which let you
  telnet to a PC and run a DOS app.

   -----------
   David Hiltz

   Unix System and Network Administrator
   Northeast Fisheries Science Center

1. starting remote processes in distributed applications

I work on a distributed application, and have been tasked with a feature
that lets users start all of our processes on a set of configured machines
from one 'master' box. The options I'm looking at now are rsh vs. inetd.
inetd gives greater control (rsh lets you run any command, while with inetd
I can ensure only my scripts are executed) at the cost of more complexity
(writing what is still a simple script kicked off by inetd instead of the
rsh one-liner, and handling authentication ourselves instead of relying on
the OS). inetd is more difficult to administrate, but not by much. So, if
customers wouldn't mind enabling/configuring rsh, I'd rather go that route,
because it's easier.

Not being an expert, I'm aware that there's many other issues regarding
starting distributed apps, but the main question I'm concerned about here
is: would a network-savvy customer object to our app using rsh?

2. Linux <-> Solaris file systems?

3. How to get the process id starting from the application name (in C)

4. KDE Newbie needing help

5. starting a process when other is done

6. Audio tool

7. EXCHANGING OPTICAL DISKS : DOS to UNIX / UNIX to DOS

8. REQ: Diamond Netcommander ISDN Drivers needed!

9. porting dos application to unix

10. Percentages of Unix & DOS programmers for types of applications

11. DOS applications under UNIX

12. Help with UNIX running DOS application...

13. Removing Applications from "Start Applications" incon