(Unix) any device independent file for graphics?

(Unix) any device independent file for graphics?

Post by Cheng Jiun Yu » Mon, 28 Jun 1993 15:01:37

I have a set of data that describe several 3-D rectangles.
I will like to print those rectangles based on my data, perhaps with
some words describing those rectangles.
I know LaTeX,TeX supports .dvi files for Text or maybe lines and rectangles.
So I wonder if there is any format of files that I can use so that some
programs will read it and print the graphics the data represents to the
printer. Hopefully those file formats are device independent.

What I can do now is to print the bitmap represented graphics through X-Window

See, I have to run X-Window every time I want to print the graphics.

(Unix) any device independent file for graphics?

Post by Richard Moo » Wed, 30 Jun 1993 05:50:50

You could output to the computer graphics metafile format ( CGM ).
Also postscript will do 2D stuff.

1. Terminal independent graphics

Wanted:  a terminal-independent approach to graphics, like termcap, on
4.2bsd or 4.3.

Some time ago, I heard about an effort to come up with a graphcap
database for the plot filters, so that one could easily implement
simple graphics on my terminal.  Is there such a thing?  Failing that,
is there a "plot" version available for the Tektonix 4106?  What about
an Imagen laser printer?

Dave Luce
Analysis & Technology, Inc.
153 Williams Street
New London, CT 06355
(203) 444-7722 x437
...!ihnp4!{hsi,rayssd}!aati!luce

2. multiport serial PCMCIA? Does it exist?

3. Tricking Unix into thinking a a Unix file is actually a tape device

4. hardware support ?

5. Device-independent character mapping

6. Sparc audio files (no pun intended)

7. Comtrol Launches Bus-Independent LAN-Attached Serial Port Expansion Device

8. invalid compressed data crc-error on files ftp-ed via ppp link

9. "Device Independent Forms" Language/Interpreter??

10. Can I compile device driver which is independent on kernel version?

11. device independent way for touch screen calibration?

12. Problems with Vogle graphics library and UNIX file I/O

13. Unix Graphics Files!