Custom Shell

Post by rt.. » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:13:32

Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX shell
(other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

--
J.Wood

Custom Shell

Post by Russ Allber » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:34:45

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX
> shell (other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

Stevens, _Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment_, is probably the
best place to start.  There's quite a bit in there about job control,
process groups, signals, and the role of the shell.  After that, I think
the standard advice is to take apart an existing shell and look at what it
does.

--

Custom Shell

Post by acarte » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:44:25

Get zsh it can come with source code. :>)

> Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX shell
> (other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

> --
> J.Wood

Custom Shell

Post by David Rubi » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:59:38

> Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX shell
> (other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

Many undergraduate operating systems courses do this as a project. You can look
on some university course web sites for info...

        david

--
FORTRAN was the language of choice
for the same reason that three-legged races are popular.

Custom Shell

Post by cLIeNUX us » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:59:59

>> Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX shell
>> (other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

>Many undergraduate operating systems courses do this as a project. You can look
>on some university course web sites for info...

>    david

The crux of a "unix shell" is it's process spawning behavior. Look at the
fork() and execve() syscalls. There's a nice outline of this in Bach, "The
Design of the UNIX Operating System".

Rick Hohensee
www.clienux.com

Quote:>--
>FORTRAN was the language of choice
>for the same reason that three-legged races are popular.
>    -- Ken Thompson, "Reflections on Trusting Trust"

Custom Shell

Post by garrett curti » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 01:17:06

Sun has a class call System Programming. It covers the necessaries to
write your own shell.
garrett

> > Does anyone know where I can find information on writing my own UNIX
> > shell (other than the standard shell, csh, ksh, or bash)?

> Stevens, _Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment_, is probably the
> best place to start.  There's quite a bit in there about job control,
> process groups, signals, and the role of the shell.  After that, I think
> the standard advice is to take apart an existing shell and look at what it
> does.

> --

1. Installing custom shells Was Re: Csh Programming Considered Harmful - comp.unix.shell #10160 (fwd)

|> I admit ignorancy here:  Would it be "bad" if I were to compile and
|> run a shell in my user directory?  (For example, if I were to get the
|> source for zsh, and compile and run it in ~jfine/bin/zsh.)  Do shell
|> programs need to be in /usr/bin for special permissions?

   A colleague of mine installed tcsh on some of our Suns (she did it
   in the canonical place /usr/bin or /bin as root since she wanted some of
   her students to use it too)
   Later she discovered that she could not telnet into her account from
   remote until she "registered" tcsh in a file /etc/shells

   So I suppose you must be root to do this.

   BTW I regard as a pain the fact that most public domain utilities
   want to be installed (or some auxiliary files to be installed) in
   places like /usr/local or its subdirectories. [this comment does not
   necessarily apply to shells, which IMHO are of a higher rank than
   a mere utility]
   I'd like in general not needing to be root to install something !

--
Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR Milano        |         U N I C U I Q U E
via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano - Italy    |          System  Manager

Decnet:   IFCTR::LUCIO (39610::LUCIO)      |

2. PPP routing question

3. Can you turn "echo"ing off in custom shell command?

4. backup systems suggestions

5. custom shell and qpopper

6. Scan analysis.

7. Installing custom shells AND applications

8. Screensaver and Font Select ?

9. custom jumpstart drops to interactive install, ignores custom config

10. How do I create a custom (Menuing) Shell?

11. Q: Problems setting up custom login shell under SunOS5.4

12. How secure? Custom prog instead of shell

13. Bourne Shell compatible shells (was: Request: which shells)