hard disk bad block detection routine

Post by Chong Chuan Foon » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:48:05

Hi all,

    I need to write a hard disk bad blocks detection routine. Is there
anyway to determine if a hard disk contains bad blocks and mark these bad
sectors so that all future "write" will not be in such areas?

    The program will be run on OpenBSD, and the hard disk are used as a raw
device to store real time video data. A routine to detect bad blocks is
required to avoid retrieval failure.

    Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

regards,
chuan foong, chong

1. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

Hello, dear Internet friends !!

Anyone can tell me if there is any utility to lock the bad sectors for
the ext2fs under Linux without re-initiating the harddisk.

I used "fsck /dev/hdaX" to fix the filesystem but it could not lock
the physical bad-sectors. When I wrote something to hit the bad
sector, my Linux Panic could get Kernel Panic due to accessing
some bad sectors. "fsck" or "exfsck" cannot fix them and it can
only recover the damaged file system only (NOT the bad sectors).
Can you tell me how to do ?

Thanks for your creat help !!!

Best Regards. Louie

2. SMP status?

3. Can I use a Hard Disk with some bad blocks w/ Linux?

4. Any Blackbox user?

5. Bad blocks on hard disk

6. Drivers for D-Link DFE-530TX ?

7. Hard disk with bad blocks

8. Adding a CDRom when all the IDE channels are full

9. Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

10. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

11. Hard disk detection problem in Debian

12. How do I check for bad blocks on my hard drive?

13. frequency of dup/bad blocks on hard drive