AIX and connld

Post by Craig J. Marti » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am writing some software that must run on Solaris 2.6 and AIX 4.2.  I
want to use named stream pipes as descirbed in section 15.5.1 of
Richard Steven's  Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment.
His example uses a streams module called connld.  I have not been
able to find such a module on AIX.

Does anyone know about this module on AIX or maybe have the source to
the Solaris 2.6 module?

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig J. Martin
The Sabre Group

AIX and connld

Post by Tony O'Brya » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I toyed with named pipes for a total of about 30 minutes, so this is a
mostly ignorant stab at it.  For the experiments I did with pipes, I
manually created one from the command line with mknod:

mknod testpipe p

This made a pipe (FIFO) called testpipe in the current directory.

> I am writing some software that must run on Solaris 2.6 and AIX 4.2.  I
> want to use named stream pipes as descirbed in section 15.5.1 of:
> Richard Steven's  Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment.
> His example uses a streams module called connld.  I have not been
> able to find such a module on AIX.

> Does anyone know about this module on AIX or maybe have the source to
> the Solaris 2.6 module?

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Craig J. Martin
> The Sabre Group

AIX and connld

Post by Craig J. Marti » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

After posting, I did some research and made a few phone calls.  It turns out
that using a
streams driver like connld to implement named stream pipes requires that the
UNIX
pipe function must be implemented using STREAMS . . . AIX's is not, so using
connld to
implement named stream pipes on AIX is not possible.

Thanks

Craig J. Martin
The Sabre Group

> I toyed with named pipes for a total of about 30 minutes, so this is a
> mostly ignorant stab at it.  For the experiments I did with pipes, I
> manually created one from the command line with mknod:

> mknod testpipe p

> This made a pipe (FIFO) called testpipe in the current directory.

> > I am writing some software that must run on Solaris 2.6 and AIX 4.2.  I
> > want to use named stream pipes as descirbed in section 15.5.1 of:
> > Richard Steven's  Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment.
> > His example uses a streams module called connld.  I have not been
> > able to find such a module on AIX.

> > Does anyone know about this module on AIX or maybe have the source to
> > the Solaris 2.6 module?

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > Craig J. Martin
> > The Sabre Group

1. Does AIX has connld STREAMS module, and fattach() ?

I'm porting my database software from svr4 to other environments,
including AIX. One module I use for communications is connld which
lets me handle multiple unique streams, along with fattach().

Is there a `connld' or equivalent in IBM AIX 3.2 ? I've been browsing
through the info-hypertext-thingy and can't find it. The sysadmin
people here don't know what they configure in the kernel. Typical.
References I found on STREAMS are for those things I'll never need
(like auto conversion from ASCII to EBCDIC.)

Also, I just did a `man -k fattach()' on the other window, and
it didn't find it either. Running /usr/sbin/scls returns an
error about not finding the nuls driver/module. I checked the
/etc/pse.conf file, but it contains nothing even similar to
`connld.' I saw a reference to a spx multiplexer, but I assume
that's probably for pseudo-tty stuff. Neither man nor info gave
me anything more regarding spx. I wrote a small test program, but
ioctl() can't I_PUSH connld (returns -1.)

I'm pretty foreign to AIX, so I don't know where to look next.
I'm wondering if 1) Connld or equivalent just doesn't exist in
the wild world of AIX; 2) It exists in some form, but is not
configured by the sysadmin here; 3) It exists and configured,
but I just don't know about it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated,

-Ade.
--

CompuServe: 74160,3404

--

CompuServe: 74160,3404

2. Comp.Unix.Aix Digest, Volume 4, Number 51

3. Does AIX have connld STREAMS module (and fattach()) ?

4. Samba Login Problem

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. memory map (mmap)

7. connld, POLLUP, and SIGPIPE

8. LINUX-FT SLIP Errors

9. SVR4's connld module

10. connld module in SVR4 Streams

11. AIX anonymous FTP list, and porting to AIX FAQ

12. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.2 to AIX 4.3.3

13. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1