Looking for good book on advanced unix programming

Looking for good book on advanced unix programming

Post by Joost Remij » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm looking for some good books on advanced Unix programming. Does
anyone know any. I've started programming on a HP-UX 10.20 system
recently so I'd like to dig into the more advanced features of
programming on these systems.
This would include stuff like mmap(), using semaphores and signalling.

Looking for good book on advanced unix programming

Post by Chri » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You might want to check out :

Advanced Programming In The UNIX Environment
 Online Price: $63.95
By Stevens, W . Richard; Hardcover; 744 Pages
Published by Addison Wesley; 06/1993; ISBN: 0201563177

There's more information about it at Computer Literacy -
www.clbooks.com

Here's a link to the title :

http://www.clbooks.com/sqlnut/SP/search/gtsumt?isbn=0201563177

If you end up buying this or any other title(s) at Computer Literacy,

Use this code : CHU788

when you place your order. It will give you at least 15% off on
anything you buy through August 31, 1998. Just enter this in the "Let
us know how you found us or enter referral code" box.

(This code will work for anyone)

I hope this info is helpful.

Chris (at) Huebner (dot) com

Quote:>I'm looking for some good books on advanced Unix programming. Does

Post by Roberto Waltm » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I'm looking for some good books on advanced Unix programming. Does
> anyone know any. I've started programming on a HP-UX 10.20 system
> recently so I'd like to dig into the more advanced features of
> programming on these systems.
> This would include stuff like mmap(), using semaphores and signalling.

You got the tittle almost right !

"Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment"
W. R. Stevens
Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
ISBN 0-201-56317-7

RW.

Post by David Ste » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > I'm looking for some good books on advanced Unix programming. Does
> > anyone know any. I've started programming on a HP-UX 10.20 system
> > recently so I'd like to dig into the more advanced features of
> > programming on these systems.
> > This would include stuff like mmap(), using semaphores and signalling.

> You got the tittle almost right !

> "Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment"
> W. R. Stevens
> Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
> ISBN 0-201-56317-7

Another book that doesn't discuss mmap() but is still _really_ really
really cool in my opinion, is John Lions' book: "Lions' Commentary on
Unix 6th edition with Source Code".  It's _old_ (!), but it's a superb
book and I must say that I like the exposition on traditional stuff like
file I/O, directories, signals and terminal I/O of the Lions book much
better than in Richard Stevens' book (or Marc Rochkind's book) ...  The
Lions book is available from http://www.peer-to-peer.com.  So if you
don't really need the latest-greatest POSIX terminal handling or
sigaction stuff, the Lions book is very much recommended!

Looking for good book on advanced unix programming

Post by voi » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The Lions book is an excellent tour through unix, invaluable if you want
to understand a unix kernel.  But Stevens' book is more targetted to
people who want to program for unix, and it covers a lot of fairly
fast-changing areas in the unix API.  If you're at all concerned about
portability, the Stevens book is far superior, since it explicitly covers
portability not as one isolated chapter, but a concern that informs the
whole book.

Stevens is also still around to support his book, in fact he posts here
sometimes; despite his brilliance, Lions can't match that.

Read the Stevens book.  I would never suggest not reading the Lions book,
but read the Stevens book.

--

 Ben

looking for admin/security work