Need Shared Memory Manager

Post by Shuichi Ko » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 10:58:34

        I would like to have 2 UNIX processes share one large chunk of
memory.  I would like to be able to allocate/deallocate (using
malloc/free/etc. - like calls) bits and pieces of this shared memory.
Please note that this is different from allocating large numbers of
bits and pieces of shared memory (using the shmget call), but rather
allocate/deallocate stuff from one large pre-allocated piece of shared
memory.  Has anyone written a library/manager that would do this (the
faster and more portable the better)?  Thanks in advance.

Shuichi

                     College of Arts and Sciences
                        University of *ia

Need Shared Memory Manager

Post by Mike Golob » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 02:16:40

>    I would like to have 2 UNIX processes share one large chunk of
>memory.  I would like to be able to allocate/deallocate (using
>malloc/free/etc. - like calls) bits and pieces of this shared memory.
>Please note that this is different from allocating large numbers of
>bits and pieces of shared memory (using the shmget call), but rather
>allocate/deallocate stuff from one large pre-allocated piece of shared
>memory.  Has anyone written a library/manager that would do this (the
>faster and more portable the better)?  Thanks in advance.

I've got an IPC architectural package that has such shared memory allocate /
deallocate functions as part of it.  I'm not sure how cleanly I can pull
just the memory stuff out of it... so maybe you should contact me only if
you don't get any other responses.

I have always been quite surprised that there aren't LOTS of ways to do
this!  When I checked a few years ago, I found nothing, had to write it
myself, and have been using it ever since.

Mike Golobay                                  (its a 'bear thing')