Q: write() to TCP socket blocking

Post by David Petr » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00

     I have a network intensive client/server program which works
perfectly for a few hours, making read()'s, write()'s, etc.  After a
few hours, the server makes a write() to a TCP socket, just as it had
many times before, and that write() blocks forever.  (Well, at least
for a day, I haven't left it alone any longer to see if its status
would have changed.)  In what situations will a write() to a TCP
socket block in this manner?

     Thanks a lot.  I'd really appreciate any help.

David

1. TCP Socket Non-Blocking write ?

Is there a way to determine if a TCP stream socket has enough buffer
space to complete a non-blocking write of an entire buffer with a single
write call without actually performing the write ?

The socket is set to "NO DELAY", and I want to avoid a partial write.
This program is running on a Sun Sparc-station, SunOS 4.1.1.

Please email responses directly to me if possible.

2. poll () function in GCC

3. HOWTO: D-Link DWL-650 with Redhat Linux 7.2 or FreeBSD 4.4

4. Blocking vs nonBlocking writes on a TCP Socket

5. input: Remove include/linux/pc_keyb.h and old PS/2 code [2/14]

6. incomplete socket writes (when write blocks)

7. compiling svgalib103....

8. Problem on tcp socket:two consecutive writes takes much much longer time than single write, why?

9. Non blocking socket blocks; says 'read would block' ?

10. Q: non-blocking TCP socket connect on host unreachable?

11. How to prevent TCP socket from blocking??

12. non blocking i/o on TCP sockets