Log the console

Post by Gulshan Baja » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 17:26:13

Hi,

I want to log all the information coming on to the console device.  The
process to be written will be executed as a daemon. It should not affect the
console output.

I have got some hint that it can be done using ioctl, but I have not found
how it can be done.

Please ignore syslog and script option, I cannot use that.

Please suggest something how is it possible?

Thanks,
Gulshan.

Log the console

Post by Andrew Muell » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:13:21

> Hi,

> I want to log all the information coming on to the console device.  The
> process to be written will be executed as a daemon. It should not affect the
> console output.

> I have got some hint that it can be done using ioctl, but I have not found
> how it can be done.

> Please ignore syslog and script option, I cannot use that.

> Please suggest something how is it possible?

> Thanks,
> Gulshan.

man wscons.  I havn't tried it, but it might do what you want.

-Andrew MUeller
http://synecdoche.net/~andy

Log the console

Post by cameron.k.. » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 16:31:31

| Hi,
|
| I want to log all the information coming on to the console device.  The
| process to be written will be executed as a daemon. It should not affect the
| console output.
|
| I have got some hint that it can be done using ioctl, but I have not found
| how it can be done.

Have a look at the source of xconsole.

--

Website: http://thelinuxangel.dyndns.org/
--

1. Turn off Logging to Console?

I'm running 3.4-RELEASE (just rebuilt from 3.2), built with
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE and turned on logging of all traffic (trying to
identify an unexpected connection).

The problem is that the volume of messages overwhelms everything
else on the console (expecially if the command generates traffic).
Is there any way to get the logging to go only to /var/log/messages?
I wouldn't mind it going to the console if it only went to one,
but it goes to all virtual consoles that root is logged into.

BTW, what controls which messages go to the console as opposed to
just the log file?  My user-ppp errors go to the console, but
looking in the log file there isn't anything that distinguishes
them as higher priority than the non-error messages from ppp.

--
|Drew Lawson            |  Of all the things I've lost    |

|http://www.furrfu.com/ |                                 |

2. Toshiba Tecra 700CT ?

3. sendmail logging to console

4. Been bashed and kshed

5. ICMP redirect logging to console

6. Who writes open source software?

7. : Log and console pollution: ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team

8. Can't print using lpr!

9. Logging the console

10. how to prevent logging to console ?

11. TIOCCONS or logging /dev/console messages on SYSV/386 3.2

12. iptables log to console fix

13. iptables logs to console(?)