1. Help needed with Tandberg TDC3800 SCSI tape drive
I have been trying to 'dump' a backup of my FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE system
onto a Tandberg TDC-3800 SCSI tape amd I am confused.
The tape drive supports QIC-525 and QIC-150 formats which I believe are
26 tracks at 16000 BPI and 18 tracks at 10000 BPI respectively. I can
used 'mt' to set density to either of the above, and as I want to dump
to DC6150 tapes (150Mb, 620 feet) I set the density to QIC-150.
Using 'mt status' gives the following:
Present Mode: Density = QIC-150 Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 0: Density = 0x00 Blocksize variable
Mode 1: Density = X3.136-1986 Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2: Density = X3.39-1986 Blocksize variable
Mode 3: Density = X3.54-1986 Blocksize variable
Which I don't fully understan as none of the mentioned densities are
I also believe that the QIC drives are not too good at finding the
end-of-tape marker, requiring that a specific amount of data is written
'df -k' shows that the usr filesystem has 859842 1K blocks used.
Assuming a DC6150 tape can hold 150Mb, then I need about 6 tapes to back
To dump the /usr filesystem to tape, I used the following command:
dump -0 -d 10000 /usr
which reports that it needs 4.2 tapees, which doesn't sound right. I
let it continue and it failed after 155456 blocks, which does sound
about right assuming 1K tape blocks.
Next I tried using the -s option to dump to specify the tape length, I
tried 620 feet, as that it what it says on the tape housing. Now it
tells me it needs over 10 tapes.
As it didn't seem to be working, I tried the -B option to specify the
number of blocks per tape. I set this to 155450, and it told me it
needed 6.13 tapes, which sounds OK. Now the problem is, if i use a
DC6525 tape (525Mb) and use -B '525Mb worth of blocks', how does the
tape drive know to write at 16000 BPI rather than 10000 BPI?
I seem to be missing something important here. Can anyone point me in
the right direction to understand this?
2. ?: argv not in the proc structure
3. Need help with SCSI tape drive
4. Mandrakesoft lays off plex86 developer, what a bunch of idiots!
5. Blocksize error on 4mm SCSI tape drive, need help
6. how much memory is used by the kernel
7. Need help installing scsi tape drive
8. Crack attempt on my Linux Box!!!
9. Need help adding SCSI tape drive
10. SCSI Seagate STT20000N tape drive: need help!!
11. Need help with SCSI Tape Drive
12. Need Help w/ using SCSI QIC drive to read tapes from floppy QIC
13. ADAPTEC 1542B DOES NOT RECOGNIZE SCSI TAPE DRIVE AND SCSI TAPE ?