ToolTalk, Debugger & Linux -- any hope?

Post by pgcor.. » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all.  At work I use Linux 2.0.18 and XFree86 to connect to a Sparc
20 running Solaris 2.5 via xterms.  All seems to work well until I
decide to run the de* off the Sparc 20.

I get the message:
"Unable to initialize ToolTalk connection -- check DISPLAY variable"

Well, I have my DISPLAY env var set to my Linux box's IP address,
otherwise I wouldn't be able to get xterms from the Sparc 20 up on my
box.  I also have already entered "xhost +" on my Linux box to enable
outside clients to connect to me.

I have read bits and pieces regarding ToolTalk as roughly the
equivalent of Microsoft's OLE for Sun.  All that is well and groovy,
however,  but I still can't get Sun's de* to work.  I have no
problem getting other bits (like dtpad for instance) to work with no
diffiiculty.

My only other alternative is to alternate boot my Linux box to Win95
and run a package called Exceed -- giving me X capabilities and a CDE
interface.  At this point, all is well.

Are there libraries on the Linux side that I can install to mimic
ToolTalk?  If so, I haven't been able to find them.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Patman

Post by Jeff S. Dickso » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all.  At work I use Linux 2.0.18 and XFree86 to connect to a Sparc
> 20 running Solaris 2.5 via xterms.  All seems to work well until I
> decide to run the de* off the Sparc 20.

Why aren't you asking in one of the linux newsgroups instead of here?
Wouldn't that make a whole lot more sense?

1. debugger tooltalk error x86 Solaris 2.5

Hi

I have two machines which exhibit the same symptoms.

I recently ran the x86 Video Driver Update 11 on my system and now I
can't get the debugger to run.

 Debugger: internal error (11)

[1]    Abort                debugger
dbx: fatal error: Unable to establish Dbx to Debugger ToolTalk
connection
 (if DISPLAY points to 4.1.x machine try installing patch 100626-07)

I can run the debugger from another machine's X Terminal.

Solaris 2.5 on x86
Release: 5.5
Kernel architecture: i86pc
Application architecture: i386
Kernel version: SunOS 5.5 Generic November 1995

ProWorks Debugger PW 3.0.1 Developers Release SPROdbgr 3.0.1

Any suggestions please.

--
Donald Deasy
Intelligent Applications Ltd

www  : http://www.cityscape.co.uk/ia

2. May be the answer for you?

3. Solaris debugger -- Workshop - "Could not open tooltalk channel"

4. UE450 Doesn't Recognize Tape Autochanger

5. Hoping against hope: RH on a Toshiba 2520 CDS

6. Wireless Keyboard (& Stuff)

7. Recommended patches & ToolTalk

8. Extracting single lines from the less command

9. Workshop (ToolTalk) & AIX 4.3.3

12. FC & MULTIPATH !? (any hope?)

13. [Fwd: Re: FC & MULTIPATH !? (any hope?)]