Name Resolution Problem

Post by Mohamed Fa » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I tried to add my IP address and name to the /etc/hosts file. After
that I tried to ping my name but it doesnt seem to resolve my name.
The message I get is
Ping: host name <XXXX> NOT FOUND
Where else should I add my name & IP address.
I am using IBM AIX OS

Thanks in Advance

Name Resolution Problem

Post by Dave Bro » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,
:       I tried to add my IP address and name to the /etc/hosts file. After
: that I tried to ping my name but it doesnt seem to resolve my name.
: The message I get is
: Ping: host name <XXXX> NOT FOUND
: Where else should I add my name & IP address.
: I am using IBM AIX OS

Use smit to add your hostname and IP address, otherwise AIX's Mysterious
Internal Tables don't get updated properly.

I'd normally recommend reading the man page, but I've read the man page
for smit, and while I've gathered a collection of humorous quotes from
it, I've never managed to get useful information out of it.

--Dave
--
http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~dagbrown/

"The smit command displays a hierarchy of menus that can lead to
interactive dialogues." -- AIX man page

1. solaris name resolution problems

I recently rebuilt a box w/ Solaris 2.5.1.  It is
not able to see any machines not on the local
network.  I can ping other workstations on the
network, but cannot ping outside machines by name
or address.

All configuration files seem to be correct.  I'm
new to this and would appreciate any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. 0.99pl10+ won't reboot!!!

3. Name Resolution Problem

4. 3com 3C900 combo linux support?

5. Name resolution problem using /etc/hosts

6. Linksys LNE100TX

7. Newbie: Ping Name resolution problem

8. cscope 15.5

9. Linux Name Resolution Problems

10. name resolution problem

11. Name resolution problem

12. name resolution problem

13. Linux PPP server and Name Resolution Problem