about background processes..

Post by GIPPIDO » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'd like to know the way (something else that the "foreground"and
"background" commands)
to get back background processes running in the shell..

If anyone can help (and I think it is a usual command)...
it would be great...

Thank you.
Matt.

Post by Francis GALIEGU » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'd like to know the way (something else that the "foreground"and
> "background" commands)
> to get back background processes running in the shell..

> If anyone can help (and I think it is a usual command)...
> it would be great...

Do you mean at the command line? What's wrong with "command &"? Doesn't
your shell support job control?

--
fg

# rm *;o
o: command not found

Post by Modna » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I'd like to know the way (something else that the "foreground"and
> "background" commands)
> to get back background processes running in the shell..

You need a program called "screen" which is available at any GNU mirror site.
Check you computer if it is pre-installed. Then read the manual carefully.

1. Killing csh background process **AND** any unfinished processes (fg and background) it started

Hi,

Does anybody know of a solution for killing a csh background process
**AND** any unfinished processes (fg and background) it started.

I know you guys think tcsh sucks but translating the csh code to bash is
not trivial task because of it's large volume of the case I have at
hand.

I should mention that when the csh script is started in the foreground
on a terminal and I do a ^C it behaves excellent in that it exits and
all the processes it started exit.

Things I considered (and didn't work for me):

   * Use the -q option of csh and kill with a signal: QUIT (3). Only
     kills the shell but not a process started by the shell in the
     foreground (actually another csh).
   * Use the csh onintr command and when interrupt time arrives the
     processes will be killed with signal INT (2) before the script
     exits. The same for the processes started. With the many scripts
     this becomes unfeasible. I'm hoping to add a line or two to each
     script, max.
   * Use the tcsh hup command and kill with a signal: HUP (1). Again,
     the process started by tcsh in the fg doesn't finish.
   * Set limits on cpu usage. Ugly and insufficient because a process
     might not take cpu but still get left behind.

After this mess is solved, I'll try to hook this all up to Python;-) And
never code in csh again?

Thanks for your time,
Jurgen

2. suse / advansys.o question

3. Help: Parallel processing (or background processing)!

4. calculating a (ficticous hospital bill) project

5. How do I disassociate a background process from the process used to start it?

6. question SunOS SIGCHLD

7. What's different between background process and daemon process?

8. HP Jet Direct

9. How to not have process number / 'done' line for background process?

10. Identification of Background Processes

11. How do I reassign background process to tty after logout?

12. background process runs and output comes to terminal in 4.3.3

13. how to grab stdout of a background process?