Seeking a dev tool/library for character based windows & apps using C/C++?

Seeking a dev tool/library for character based windows & apps using C/C++?

Post by John F. Masinte » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm seeking suggestions on a development tool/library for
developing apps that target dumb terminals using C/C++ under UNIX.

I'm looking for the next step up from the plain old curses library.
You know, something that has a screen painter etc. to ease the
development of character-based pop-up windows and the like.

Thanks for any suggestions.

                              ,,,
                             (oo)
  ----------------------o0Oo-(_)-oO0o-----------------------
  |    John F. Masinter      Total Business Computing Inc. |

  | 4514 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd. Ste. 336, Atlanta, GA 30338 |
  ------------------------ooO--Ooo--------------------------

Seeking a dev tool/library for character based windows & apps using C/C++?

Post by Michael C. Kaste » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

(posted and mailed)

> I'm seeking suggestions on a development tool/library for
> developing apps that target dumb terminals using C/C++ under UNIX.

> I'm looking for the next step up from the plain old curses library.
> You know, something that has a screen painter etc. to ease the
> development of character-based pop-up windows and the like.

A few years ago I wrote some character-based screens under using
JAM, a C function library from JYACC.  Now it appears to be a product
of Prolifics (see http://jam.prolifics.com).

It was a bit quirky in some ways, and I had to find ways to wrest
control from it, but it was a lot better than using raw curses.

However, the version I used was obsolete even then.  Now I believe
they've gotten all GUIfied.  I don't know if JAM still supports
simple character-based applications, but it's probably worth
investigating.

http://home.swbell.net/mck9/cobol/cobol.html

1. Problem linking when using C++ library in a library on Solaris

I've got a strange linking problem that I've been struggling with and
I hope someone can tell me what's going on and how to fix it.

I've got a few classes that I compile into a static library, but when
I link my executable with this library, the linker complains about
undefined symbols.  These symbols look like they come from the C++
library.  The strange thing is, everything works fine when I link
using the object files in the library.

I'm using a Sun Ultra-250 running Solaris 2.8, using the Sun Workshop
version 6 C++ compiler.  Here's sample code:

driver.cxx:

#include "m.h"

int main()
{
    M m;

    m.use ( 'r' );

    return 0;

m.h:

#include <map>

class M
{
public:
    M();

    void use ( char c );

private:
    typedef std::map<char, int> Table;

    Table t_;

m.cxx:

#include "m.h"

M::M()
{
    t_['x'] = 15;

void M::use ( char c )
{
    t_[c]++;

Linking the objects works fine:

CC -c driver.cxx
CC -c m.cxx
CC -o driver driver.o m.o

But if I now create a library and use that I get the undefined error:

ar -r m.a m.o
ar: creating m.a
CC -o driver driver.o m.a
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
std::pair<__rwstd::__rb_tree<char,std::pair<const
char,int>,__rwstd::__select1st<std::pair<const char,int>,
char>,std::less<char>,std::allocator<std::pair<const char,int> >
td::pair<const char,int>,__rwstd::__select1st<std::pair<const
char,int>,char>,std::less<char>,std::allocato
r<std::pair<const char,int> > >::insert(const std::pair<const
char,int>&) m.a(m.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to driver

What's going on, and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Andreas.

2. ifconfig le0:1 plumb lookalike?

3. Stupid questions about linux dev tools and java dev tools

4. handleiding of uitleg gfcc rules maken

5. help: character based ftp-tool wanted

6. How to check if I have all the latest security fixes on??

7. Character-based admin tools

8. error trying to install slakware 3.3 with scsi

9. Character based 4GL RAD Tool to access Sybase?

10. Memory Leak C++ Tools Sought After

11. Automated test tools for C++ apps?

12. TclTk 8.0 & C++ (g++) shared library w/stream I/O & RH 5.0 == seg fault...

13. WinNT escapee seeks dev tool advice