Special characters in vi

Post by ChickRac » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

If I'm in the wrong newsgroup, fuss at me but tell me which one I should use.

I'm trying to understand a file that has many special characters in it.  When I
look at it with vi using the "show list" command I see these special characters
but I don't know what they mean.

I know ^I is a tab character.  I suspect ^M is a carriage return or a line
feed.  But I also see ^K.  I don't know what that is.

Where are these defined?
Chick Racer

Special characters in vi

Post by Andrew Gabri » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If I'm in the wrong newsgroup, fuss at me but tell me which one I should use.

>I'm trying to understand a file that has many special characters in it.  When I
>look at it with vi using the "show list" command I see these special characters
>but I don't know what they mean.

>I know ^I is a tab character.  I suspect ^M is a carriage return or a line
>feed.  But I also see ^K.  I don't know what that is.

>Where are these defined?

See if your unix has "man ascii"

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Special characters in vi

Post by Víctor Pelagat » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If I'm in the wrong newsgroup, fuss at me but tell me which one I should use.

>I'm trying to understand a file that has many special characters in it.  When I
>look at it with vi using the "show list" command I see these special characters
>but I don't know what they mean.

>I know ^I is a tab character.  I suspect ^M is a carriage return or a line
>feed.  But I also see ^K.  I don't know what that is.

>Where are these defined?
>Chick Racer

See
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios11/arbook...