24/7 dialup(just an idea)

Post by Pat Szu » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I think I've found a pretty good way to keep modem connections stable for
as long as you want them to(possibly forver :P).  When you call someone
just to talk, you usually don't expirience any "drops", even if you talk
for hours. I pondered agressivly for a couple minutes and thought to
myself.. what if modems would ignore ALL the errors and just continued to
stay connected? Could this be possible?

         The answer is 42.

24/7 dialup(just an idea)

Post by Raj Dut » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I think I've found a pretty good way to keep modem connections stable for
> as long as you want them to(possibly forver :P).  When you call someone
> just to talk, you usually don't expirience any "drops", even if you talk
> for hours. I pondered agressivly for a couple minutes and thought to
> myself.. what if modems would ignore ALL the errors and just continued to
> stay connected? Could this be possible?

Nope.

1. Software to keep dialup-PPP connection up 24 hours?

G'afternoon, linuxers. I have a fairly straightforward question. I have
recently purchased a dedicated dialup line from Alternet to do
PPP to my host (they actually route a whole class C for me, but
I only have one host currently planned).

Is there software out there that will keep the modem reliably connected
to the Alternet dialin via PPP? Currently, I use minicom to dial into
my current provider (alternet takes 4 weeks to set up the dedicated
line), and then slattach or ppp directly from the root prompt.

Ideally, I would like software that will connect whenever the modem is
offline, and will maintain the routing tables. Furthermore, it will
reconnect anytime the link goes down, and connect when the system is
brought up.

Essentially, I'd like to have a 24-hour available connection.

Thanks for any pointers!

Cheers,

Doug

2. Obfuscated C contest

3. 24-bit X server for S3 (esp. Stealth 24)

4. Printing to Multiple printers - HP JetDirect external server and SCO 5.0.2

5. 24/24 stable ISDN modem ?

6. XSun memory consumption

7. where did the 24 come from in 2^24*512=8GB fs limit??

8. 802.3 snap

9. DialUps FAQ idea.

10. Sample firewall/masq rules for dialup and non-dialup posted (ipfwadm only)

11. any ideas? good idea...

12. Linksys router. Can't stay connected 24/24?

13. Linux Advertisement Campaign, Countdown to 24 August Win