Compression/Decompression library wanted

Compression/Decompression library wanted

Post by Henk Fictor » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 00:34:46

Hi,

We are looking for a (source) library to compress/uncompress a file while
reading/writing it. I know that this is a planned feature of gzip, but
unfortunately we can't wait that long.
In our program we are reading and writing a lot of big files and we rather
don't want the overhead of starting and stopping an executable (gzip).
Compression is however wanted, gzip compresses an 8 Mbyte file to merely
700K, thus a compression library is searched for. We did made our own library,
but it was quite inferior (speed and compression factor) to gzip.

The library should be available for SunOS 4.x and Solaris 2.x and suitable
for a C++ (or C) programming environment.

If you know such a library or can direct me further, please contact me.

regards,

Henk Fictorie
--

P.O. box 421,                              Phone    : +31 70 3326356
2260 AK Leidschendam, The Netherlands      Fax      : +31 70 3326477

Compression/Decompression library wanted

Post by Pete Flugst » Thu, 30 Jun 1994 03:15:21

Quote:>We are looking for a (source) library to compress/uncompress a file while
>reading/writing it. I know that this is a planned feature of gzip, but
>unfortunately we can't wait that long.
>In our program we are reading and writing a lot of big files and we rather
>don't want the overhead of starting and stopping an executable (gzip).
>Compression is however wanted, gzip compresses an 8 Mbyte file to merely
>700K, thus a compression library is searched for. We did made our own library,
>but it was quite inferior (speed and compression factor) to gzip.

Why don't you just go grab the source to gzip, it's available on
ftp::/prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu. In taking a quick look at it, it doesn't
look to hard to adapt to your needs.

Pete

Post by Janne Kukonleh » Fri, 01 Jul 1994 18:31:18

> We are looking for a (source) library to compress/uncompress a file while
> reading/writing it. I know that this is a planned feature of gzip, but
> unfortunately we can't wait that long.
> In our program we are reading and writing a lot of big files and we rather
> don't want the overhead of starting and stopping an executable (gzip).
> Compression is however wanted, gzip compresses an 8 Mbyte file to merely
> 700K, thus a compression library is searched for. We did made our own library,
> but it was quite inferior (speed and compression factor) to gzip.

> The library should be available for SunOS 4.x and Solaris 2.x and suitable
> for a C++ (or C) programming environment.

Following package gives you a transparent stdio-like access to writing
and reading gzipped files:

  garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/c-lang/lzpip101.zip

--

1. JPEG Compression/Decompression Software, GPIB Device drivers

Fellow Netters,

        Is there any public domain JPEG compression/decompression
software available? I would be interested in the source code for
this software.

Also are there any public domain device drivers for the GPIB cards
for a flavor of UN*X on a 486 platform.

I hope this is the right group to post these queries to.

Any and all help / pointers appreciated.

Thanx,

Raj.
  __  __     .
 /   __/    /                               Raj Malhotra.
/   ( /_   /                                voice : (908)613 4313.

2. snapscan e20

3. Audio Compression/Decompression tools

4. xhtml 1.3 release....anyone compiled a static binary?

5. On the fly compression/decompression for paging?

6. xdm problems

7. how do I support modem pools?

8. Compression/Decompression in small spaces.

9. In-memory compression library wanted

10. gzip/compress compression routine/library wanted!!!

11. Compression algorithm/compression consultant wanted (MD/USA)

12. Unix .lzh 2.x decompression routines WANTED