Programming a dial-in interface

Post by Paul Blumste » Thu, 14 Jul 1994 10:46:58

I am writing a program on SUN O/S 4.1.3 to monitor a number of serial ports
for customers dialing in.  I've worked with comm software before, but
never dial-in.  I have a file that is similar to ttytab that tells me
which ports to configure.

So, basically, my program needs to monitor many ports waiting for a
dialin and then handle the connection while the customer is connected
and disconnected upon logout.  Note that these are not unix sessions that
the customer will be having; they will be talking to an application
program.

I thought of using getty as a front-end, but rejected it for two
reasons: (1) There is one getty per port & I need to tie these things
together; (getty isn't easily adaptable to more than one port);  (2) I
want to send a modem init string upon port open so I can't use getty
directly.  (I do have source for an old getty that I can hack).

If you have a code snippet that is appropriate or some suggestions or
a program outline, I'd appreciate it.

        Thanks, in advance,
        Paul
   "Ride by the side roads and be a fiend to man"  -- Thoreau Blumstein

            Transaction Technology, Inc., Santa Monica, CA

1. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

I'm having trouble getting dial-outs to work when dial-ins are
enabled.  I can dial out on /dev/cua1 when getty isn't running
on /dev/ttyS1, but when getty is running I get a message that
the port I'm trying to dial-out on (/dev/cua1) is in use.  I
read the FAQs and everything seems to be set up right.  What
am I doing wrong?

[I'm running SLS 1.02 (0.99pl9).]
--
Eric Dittman                  Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  Not even my opinions.  I found them by the side of the road.

2. Very Newbie

3. dial ins

4. CAn't run Slackware 1.1.2

5. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

6. Convert small shell script to batch file

7. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?

8. ipnat help

9. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

10. Can't get dial-ins, anyone?

11. HELP WITH DIAL INS

12. pppd dial ins and , "LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests"

13. GETTY Dial Ins