generic socket options with unixdomain sockets?

generic socket options with unixdomain sockets?

Post by Oliver Kowalk » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:50:39

Hi,

may I use sall ocket options from level SOL_SOCKET with unixdomain sockets?
I tried SO_REUSEADDR with unixdomain socket on linux 2.4.12. I couldn't
find any difference between if I enable or disable it.

with best regards,
Oliver

generic socket options with unixdomain sockets?

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 04:41:24

Quote:>may I use sall ocket options from level SOL_SOCKET with unixdomain sockets?

Some options only make sense for certain types of sockets.

Quote:>I tried SO_REUSEADDR with unixdomain socket on linux 2.4.12. I couldn't
>find any difference between if I enable or disable it.

It only makes a difference if there are already some sockets bound to the
same local port that you're trying to bind to in a call to bind().

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA

1. Interesting Sockets Problem (between generic sockets client and Sybase?)

Hi,

I have a UNIX sockets client application making a connection to a sockets
server that I have also written. For the most part things have been
working great.

However, when this sockets client shared library that I have written is
brought into an application that also makes a connection to Sybase
problems occur. The problem is that the first time we make a connection
to our sockets server everything works OK; however, the next time we make
a connection to our sockets server application the host address
information is that of the host where the Sybase server is. If there is a
delay (say a sleep of 1 second) everthing works as expected.

The logic goes something like:

        1. Establish connection to Sybase.

        2. Query Sybase (the connection is left open).

        3. Establish connection to my sockets server. Build and retain
           local "struct  hostent" to remember information for remote
           host.
        4. Exchange data w/ sockets server.

        5. Close connection to my sockets server.

        6. Query Sybase (the connection is left open).

        7. Establish connection to my sockets server using retained
           local "struct hostent".

Note: That if a sleep of 1 second is performed between steps 6 and 7
everything works OK. If a sleep is not performed then the connection in
step 7 is attempted against the host that the Sybase server is on. NOT
WHAT WAS ATTENDED.

I am developing on HP-UX on an HP9000.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here??? HELP!!

Thanks!

Jim Lundell,
3M

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of 3M.

2. core dumps

3. calling connect on UNIXDomain dgram socket failes

4. Alpha AXP 2000

5. Socket and socket options

6. telnet for eth0, but not eth1

7. Sockets sockets and more sockets

8. SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION Workshop

9. Socket, Socket, whose got the socket?

10. Socket, socket, who's got the socket?

11. Sockets sockets and more sockets

12. Is there generic root socket daemon?

13. Socket Enet PCMCIA and Socket/Trimble GPS PCMCIA on SCO