Integrating Unix & DOS 'make' environment?

Integrating Unix & DOS 'make' environment?

Post by Mark McWiggi » Fri, 12 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I've run across versions of this problem for my entire career, and just
thought the time might now be right for a workable solution to have
emerged ...

I'm currently working on a large network app that needs to run on Solaris
and under DOS. Some of the modules are large enough that linking them
violates the 128-character command-line limit in spades, so the guy who
was doing the DOS side built a whole separate make facility using MS C's
make and some batch files. This works, but of course it gets out of
sync with the Unix version and is generally a pain to administer.

Anybody using:

        a cross-compilation scheme based on gcc (or other Unix environment)?

        a DOS shell that's free or cheap enough to distribute with
                the app that behaves enough like a Unix shell that
                you can link Big Things under it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions whatever.
--
Mark McWiggins      Hermes & Associates               +1 206 957 0848 (24 hrs.)

Integrating Unix & DOS 'make' environment?

Post by Tom Wheele » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm currently working on a large network app that needs to run on Solaris
> and under DOS. Some of the modules are large enough that linking them
> violates the 128-character command-line limit in spades, so the guy who
> was doing the DOS side built a whole separate make facility using MS C's
> make and some batch files. This works, but of course it gets out of
> sync with the Unix version and is generally a pain to administer.

> Anybody using:

>         a cross-compilation scheme based on gcc (or other Unix environment)?

>         a DOS shell that's free or cheap enough to distribute with
>                 the app that behaves enough like a Unix shell that
>                 you can link Big Things under it?

AFAICR, the djgpp port of gcc to dos has subtle methods to get around DOS's
shortcomings, including the command line limit.  (f.e., you can put all the

some fancy way of exec'ing other programs with long command lines from
within programs. It also does fun things like globbing automatically.

Perhaps more importantly, it comes with a make which (I expect) does all this.

.splitbung, who hasn't got djgpp yet, so _could_ be wrong...
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
We have the most [thorough] test guy in the world... [I showed him this