x.25 socket and tcp/ip socket

Post by Rizal Tams » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi Unix Gurus:

Is there support for using both x.25 socket and tcp/ip
socket in the same process? In other words, can system
call such as select, read and write work with both
types of protocol? Does Solaris 2.4 support such
scenario?

Thanks very much.

x.25 socket and tcp/ip socket

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.programmer
   Date: 26 Jul 1995 23:41:30 GMT

   Hi Unix Gurus:

   Is there support for using both x.25 socket and tcp/ip
   socket in the same process? In other words, can system
   call such as select, read and write work with both
   types of protocol? Does Solaris 2.4 support such
   scenario?

   Thanks very much.

------------------------------

    I run a process that has X.25 and TCP/IP sockets in it.
    The socket semantics are extremely similar, but
    seperate drivers operate on seperate address 'domains' in the
    kernel, so there are no first-order problems.  This is
    in SunOs 4.1.3 (using SunNet X25 7.0.1), so it should work
    even better  under Solaris 2.4  (although, you need the
    SunNet X25 8.x  product to build the sockets into your kernel).
    It seems that TCP/IP comes free (INET domain), but X25 is extra.
    There may be some confusion when it comes to "out-of-band"
    signals and interrupts (who answers the call?), but only
    if things get too feature or bug laden.

------this is the opinion of the writer alone, and is not ------------
------reflective of the employer in any way --------------------------

x.25 socket and tcp/ip socket

Post by John Kel » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>   socket in the same process? In other words, can system
>   call such as select, read and write work with both
>   types of protocol? Does Solaris 2.4 support such
>   scenario?

>    I run a process that has X.25 and TCP/IP sockets in it.
>    The socket semantics are extremely similar, but
>    seperate drivers operate on seperate address 'domains' in the
>    kernel, so there are no first-order problems.  This is
>    in SunOs 4.1.3 (using SunNet X25 7.0.1), so it should work
>    even better  under Solaris 2.4  (although, you need the
>    SunNet X25 8.x  product to build the sockets into your kernel).
>    It seems that TCP/IP comes free (INET domain), but X25 is extra.
>    There may be some confusion when it comes to "out-of-band"
>    signals and interrupts (who answers the call?), but only
>    if things get too feature or bug laden.

If someone has gotten X.25 sockets to work in Solaris 2.4, I'd
sure like to talk to them.   After beating my head into the sparse
Sockets appendix in the Sunlink X.25 8.0.1 Programmers reference,
only to receive intransigent 'Protocol not supported' errors,
I decided that maybe the "you must use /usr/ucb/cc" text in App. C meant
that gcc wouldn't work.

I eventually recoded my sockets-based X.25 library using System V
streams, which work OK (at least when transmitting data in
chunks smaller than a frame size) but which required a painful
learning curve when I was already deaing with enough Sun->Solaris
issues to fill my day with ample manual-flipping, hair-ripping
diversions.

---
Free Complaints!
#include <std_disclaim.h>

x.25 socket and tcp/ip socket

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.programmer
   Date: 27 Jul 1995 18:34:26 GMT

   >   socket in the same process? In other words, can system
   >   call such as select, read and write work with both
   >   types of protocol? Does Solaris 2.4 support such
   >   scenario?

   >    I run a process that has X.25 and TCP/IP sockets in it.
   >    The socket semantics are extremely similar, but
   >    seperate drivers operate on seperate address 'domains' in the
   >    kernel, so there are no first-order problems.  This is
   >    in SunOs 4.1.3 (using SunNet X25 7.0.1), so it should work
   >    even better  under Solaris 2.4  (although, you need the
   >    SunNet X25 8.x  product to build the sockets into your kernel).
   >    It seems that TCP/IP comes free (INET domain), but X25 is extra.
   >    There may be some confusion when it comes to "out-of-band"
   >    signals and interrupts (who answers the call?), but only
   >    if things get too feature or bug laden.

   If someone has gotten X.25 sockets to work in Solaris 2.4, I'd
   sure like to talk to them.   After beating my head into the sparse
   Sockets appendix in the Sunlink X.25 8.0.1 Programmers reference,
   only to receive intransigent 'Protocol not supported' errors,
   I decided that maybe the "you must use /usr/ucb/cc" text in App. C meant
   that gcc wouldn't work.

   I eventually recoded my sockets-based X.25 library using System V
   streams, which work OK (at least when transmitting data in
   chunks smaller than a frame size) but which required a painful
   learning curve when I was already deaing with enough Sun->Solaris
   issues to fill my day with ample manual-flipping, hair-ripping
   diversions.

   ---
   Free Complaints!
   #include <std_disclaim.h>

    I did get all of those problems with SunNetX.25 until I
    found out where the list of Sun patches was from a local
    sysadmin guy here.  Some details:

                 -- It took 3 patches, with from 15 to 75
                    bugfixes in each, to get the SunNet going
                 -- None were mentioned or included in the
                    software delivered, even though they had
                    been around for quite a while
                 -- There was a K+R macro vs. ANSI macro issue
                     in the sys files with modern compilers
                     that mapped the ioctl() calls way off course,
                    and produced a bunch of
                    operation not supported.....
                    protocol not supported....
                     complaints,
                    so I had to use a -traditional flag with
                    the compiler
                 -- (other traumas I have forgotten)

         --- the main thing was knowing someone who had
             experience steering through the galaxy of
             Sun patches.  Sytem Adminstrators know these
             things all too well.

--------hope this helps someone-------------

1. x.25 socket and tcp/ip socket

Is there support for using both x.25 socket and tcp/ip
socket in the same process? In other words, can system
call such as select, read and write work with both
types of protocol? Does Solaris 2.4 support such
scenario?

Thanks very much.

2. Action directive buggy?

3. HHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

4. UNIX domain sockets vs TCP sockets

5. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

6. socket error 98 on RedHat 7.0, server restart tcp socket.

7. Help Building Pine 3.92

8. idle tcp sockets and dead sockets

9. TCP socket to UDP socket?

10. Sockets sockets and more sockets

11. Socket, Socket, whose got the socket?

12. Socket, socket, who's got the socket?