Novice imake question

Post by Matthew A Hen » Sun, 28 Apr 1991 06:37:54

Can someone explain to me how to create a template file for imake?

Thanks,

Matt

Novice imake question

Post by Jonathan I. Kame » Tue, 30 Apr 1991 15:31:30

|> Can someone explain to me how to create a template file for imake?

  "If you have to ask, then you don't need to do it."  That's said in jest,
but there is some truth to it.

  Are you really trying to create the Imake.tmpl file that resides in the
Imake include directory and controls how Imake works for a particular software
distribution, or are you trying to create an Imakefile for a particular
package, using the Imake template and site files that have already been
provided (e.g. writing an Imakefile for an X program, based on the files in
/usr/lib/X11/config)?

  If the former, then take a look at the Imake template files for another
package, such as X.  All you're really designing is a bunch of files to be
preprocessed and to at some point include the Imakefile that the user provides.

  If the latter, then take a look at the Imakefiles for some other programs
that use the same template files as the ones you're using.  Either that, or
look in Imake.rules in the config files, to get some idea of what each Imake
rule does.

  It is unfortunate that the learning curve for imake is quite steep,
considering that once you manage to learn it, it makes things quite a bit
easier in many situations.

--
Jonathan Kamens                               USnail:
MIT Project Athena                              11 Ashford Terrace

Office: 617-253-8085                          Home: 617-782-0710

Novice imake question

Post by Scott Schwar » Thu, 02 May 1991 12:38:32

|  It is unfortunate that the learning curve for imake is quite steep,
|  considering that once you manage to learn it, it makes things quite a bit
|  easier in many situations.

For small values of "many".

The easiest way up the imake learning curve:
   find / -name '*[Ii]make*' -print | xargs rm

Complexity is its own reward.

1. XMKMF and IMAKE want Imake.tmpl

--
I can't seem to compile any X11R5 stuff. My xmkmf and imake programs search
for a file called Imake.tmpl. I don't have one and would really like one. I

-jake

--
#include <disclaimer.h>

Sincerely,                      If you open your      Don't turn this way
                                eyes for me           Don't turn that way
Jake Skinner Garcia,            you won't rely on     Straight down the middle
Eternal Darkness(tm)            open eyes to see (*1) until next Thursday (*2)

Snail:  Jake Garcia, 5130 N. Dona Ana Rd., Las Cruces, NM 88005
*1 Quote above taken from "Silent Lucidity" (Queensryche, "Empire")
*2 Quote above taken from "Get the Balance Right" (DM, "People are People")

2. Can two versions of same library live together?

3. imake = Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory

4. gnome-linuxconf trouble

5. How imake looks for Imake.tmpl file ?.

6. Just a thought of something missing

7. Novice questions: misc shell questions

8. How to login user upon reboot

9. PPP connection -- A gentle question from a novice

10. Novice Question Solaris Boot -> Cdrom

11. How do I mount a floppy disk - novice or FAQ question

12. Very...very novice question about apache!

13. Novice apache permisions question