Unix Assembly Books

Post by Dave Nejd » Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good 80x86 based
assembly book(for begginers, but of course, moving through semi advanced
topics). I'm aware of some excellent documentation online, but I like
having at least one real book in my hands, maybe I'm old-fashioned or
something. I'm just learning this on my own, so a text book isn't
necessary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Dave Nejdl

Unix Assembly Books

Post by forc » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

:>having at least one real book in my hands, maybe I'm old-fashioned or
:>something. I'm just learning this on my own, so a text book isn't
:>necessary.

: Not necessarily the easiest thing to read, but Intel's Microprocessor
: Programmer's Reference Manuals (i486, Pentium...) have almost everything
: you'd need to know (except for the stuff which they don't want you to know!)

I like Mastering Turbo Assembler by Tom Swan. It's specifically MSDOS
assembly but most of it may be applicable to assembly under Unix.

Cheers.

Unix Assembly Books

Post by matt.. » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good 80x86 based
> assembly book(for begginers, but of course, moving through semi advanced
> topics). I'm aware of some excellent documentation online, but I like
> having at least one real book in my hands, maybe I'm old-fashioned or
> something. I'm just learning this on my own, so a text book isn't
> necessary.

I learnt quite a bit from Brey: `8086/88, 80286, 80386 and 80486 assembly
language programming' (at least enough to hack some more features onto
a BIOS).  It's a bit DOS-oriented but the explanations of protected mode
and some of the x86 processor's weirdy features are very good.  Also take
a look at `The Ultimate PC Hardware Reference Manual' (at least I think
that's the title).  The ISBN of the first book is 0-02-314247-2.

--
Matthew       ( http://www.soup-kitchen.demon.co.uk/ )
              (     ICQ 19482073 if you're lucky     )

Unix Assembly Books

Post by Bernard Chandle » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> > I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good 80x86 based
> > assembly book(for begginers, but of course, moving through semi advanced
> > topics). I'm aware of some excellent documentation online, but I like
> > having at least one real book in my hands, maybe I'm old-fashioned or
> > something. I'm just learning this on my own, so a text book isn't
> > necessary.

> I learnt quite a bit from Brey: `8086/88, 80286, 80386 and 80486 assembly
> language programming' (at least enough to hack some more features onto
> a BIOS).  It's a bit DOS-oriented but the explanations of protected mode
> and some of the x86 processor's weirdy features are very good.  Also take
> a look at `The Ultimate PC Hardware Reference Manual' (at least I think
> that's the title).  The ISBN of the first book is 0-02-314247-2.

> --
> Matthew       ( http://www.soup-kitchen.demon.co.uk/ )
>               (     ICQ 19482073 if you're lucky     )

x86 and DOS is o.k. for toys. Do not get me wrong it is fun. So is 8086 and
Z80.
Assembly Programming and the 8086 Microprocessor
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0198537425/webviator/002-74917...

However I was sure that this question was labeled Unix assembly. If it is real
unix it is more than likely risc based and that is a different animal.
Introduction to Risc Assembly Language Programming
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201398281/webviator/002-74917...

Mips Risc Architecture
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0135904722/webviator/002-74917...

Sparc Architecture, Assembly Language Programming, and C
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0138768897/webviator/002-74917...

--
Bernie Chandler
http://www.nationwide.net/~bernie

1. any books on SPARC assembly

I need to find a book / online document on SPARC assembly language.  I will
be writing a compiler for a class and it will need to emit 'as' output for the
machine it runs on, in this case a SPARCstation 1.

Any pointers to where to find this documentation would be appreciated.

Jeff Keays

University of Redlands

2. Sharing Logs with ODS + UFS Logging

3. C++ and Assembly in FreeBSD.......(books)

4. Top

5. Looking for a good book on 68000 assembly.

6. Signal 29 when spawning xdvi - help!

7. FS: SPARC Assembly book

8. share COMPATIBLE_IOCTL()s across architectures

9. SPARC assembly (under SunOS) trade books avail?

10. Books on 21164 Assembly Instructions.

11. Linux Assembly: Any good books?

12. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

13. FS: Book aix, Book x, Book network