Forking Processes

Post by SUSHIL SURE » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
I have a problem regarding forking the number of process and their
control. What I want to do is get the user input from standard terminal(
this will be done by my master process) and if the user wants to execute
a new program , I will create a new process and execute that program in
the new created processes. The user might also want to suspend, kill
resume the processes. I have a very vague idea that this can be done
using the signals but can somebody help me more on that. I would also
like to know if there are books which deal with this.

Thanx

Sushil Sureka

PS: Please post the reply on the net as well as mail one copy to me.

Forking Processes

Post by Meir Dukha » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I have a problem regarding forking the number of process and their
> control. What I want to do is get the user input from standard terminal(
> this will be done by my master process) and if the user wants to execute
> a new program , I will create a new process and execute that program in
> the new created processes. The user might also want to suspend, kill
> resume the processes. I have a very vague idea that this can be done
> using the signals but can somebody help me more on that. I would also
> like to know if there are books which deal with this.

> Thanx

> Sushil Sureka

fork(2), execve(2), execl(2) and associates, for creating new processes and
executing programs. But for dealing with signals, you must be much more
specific about what you actually want to do .

Very good books:
UNIX Network Programming, Richard Stevens, isbn: 0-13-949876-1
Advanced programming in the UNIX environment, Richard Stevens, isbn:
0-201-56137-7

Good luck,

        Meir