Error: couldn't load shell: Argument list too long (bu22).

Error: couldn't load shell: Argument list too long (bu22).

Post by Yong L » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

  I got this error 'couldn't load shell: Argument list too long (bu22).'
when compliling. There are tons of .o files I need to link them together
and the argument list for CC becomes  very long so that it is beyond of
the ability of shell parsering.

  Hope somebody would give me some suggestions to handle it.

  Thanks in advance.

  Yong

Post by Eric Meij » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,

:   I got this error 'couldn't load shell: Argument list too long (bu22).'
: when compliling. There are tons of .o files I need to link them together
: and the argument list for CC becomes  very long so that it is beyond of
: the ability of shell parsering.

:   Hope somebody would give me some suggestions to handle it.

You could put the .o files in different archives called part1.a, part2.a
(or maybe you can think of a more sensible ordering) using ar, then run
ranlib on it (not needed for certain SystemV derivatives), and finally
link with the archives instead of the .o files.  So have a look at the
man pages of ar and ranlib.  If ranlib doesn't exist on your system, it
is probably not necessary.

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology

Post by Glenn Wes » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

>   I got this error 'couldn't load shell: Argument list too long (bu22).'
> when compliling. There are tons of .o files I need to link them together
> and the argument list for CC becomes  very long so that it is beyond of
> the ability of shell parsering.

>   Hope somebody would give me some suggestions to handle it.

Put 'em in an object library (archive file) and link against the
library?
Quote:

>   Thanks in advance.

>   Yong

1. /bin/ls: Argument list too long | bahs shell

I've seen mentions of this before, but I haven't been able to find a
solution, or workaround. I have a directory contain a whole slew of
files (1000's) that I'm parsing for various reasons.

However, I've noticed that some commands (simple ls) are bombing
because I (apparently) have too many files. is this a bash limit, or
Linux limt (running RH 7.1 on a box with 256 MB RAM).

Thanks!

2. PLEASE HELP:ZX(Leo)+Solaris 7?

3. 2.2->2.4 pppd error: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument

4. Booting from disk only ?

5. bash/ls error: Argument list too long. Workaround?

6. Has America Kissed The Closed-Source Bloat?

7. 'Arguments too long' error with large directory under csh

8. Performance comparison

9. KDE 2.2.1 kdebindings (qtjava) won't compile due to too long argument list

10. pppd: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument

11. pppd[899]: Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid argument

12. Zircon + term: Couldn't open connection to <host> : Invalid Argument

13. argument list too long