Bus Overload

Post by Steve Silberbe » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I invoked my program as

unix-> my_prog > /dev/null

and it returned a bus overload error.

What does this mean?  Is it state dependent?  Any help appreciated.
Steve

----------------
Steve Silberberg

http://rampages.onramp.net/~stevebo/
Suburban America is the melting pot of lowest common denominator
gastronomical mediocrity.  -- Holly Moore

Bus Overload

Post by Fletcher.Gl.. » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Never heard of a bus overload.  Was the message actually: Memory bus error?
Normally a memory bus error is caused by attempting an un-aligned memory
access.  This is usually a result of casting a pointer to a larger data type.

Post by Eric Levene » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I invoked my program as

>unix-> my_prog > /dev/null

>and it returned a bus overload error.

What is exactly the message ? Who display it ? "my_prog" or
the shell ?

Quote:>What does this mean?  Is it state dependent?  Any help appreciated.
>Steve

Which Unix are you using ? Which version ? Which shell ?
What does "my_prog" doing ?

ric Lvnez              "Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas"

(NeXTMail, MIME)                                   Georgica, II-489

1. star bus - is it physically a bus at all - hubs in series?

is the star bus network  physical star and logical bus. or is it a
physical hybrid, i.e. physical bus too.  I find that differnt sites say
different things.
Mike Meyers book says it's physical star logical bus.  But 2 other
sites say it's a physical hybrid.

http://web10.eppg.com/betabooks/nov01/meyers/ch04.html
"Star bus networks use a physical star design that provides improved
stability and a logical bus that maintains compatibility with existing
Ethernet standards"

so that says that a star bus is a physical star, but a logical bus.

http://web10.eppg.com/betabooks/nov01/meyers/ch04.html
"In a network, physical topology describes the layout of the wires,
while logical topology describes the behavior of the electronics"

so it appears that a star bus is physically just a star, - not a bus at
all.

Yet  these sites appear to state it differently

http://distancelearning.ksi.edu/demo/370/ch01d.htm
"The star bus is a combination of the bus and star topologies. In a
star-bus topology, several star topology networks are linked together
with linear bus trunks. Figure 1.28 shows a typical star-bus topology.
"

so that site appears to imply that a star bus topology is physically a
star and physically a bus. It's a 'physical hybrid topology'(my
expression).

http://www.enlightenment.co.uk/frames/basic/w-netwrk.htm
"Daisy chain topology
This topology is also sometimes called a star-bus. Hubs (which could
contain star network segments) are linked in series. "

thanks in advance

2. ATI Graphics Ultra Pro w/X

3. PCI bus vs. S-bus

4. Linux Wireless: DHCPCD Question:

5. VL-Bus Vs. PCI bus

6. lex command

7. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

8. Jet Direct / Solaris 8

9. P6 bus vs P5 bus for MP

10. Does Linux support >16 MB in Vl-bus or ISA bus now?

11. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

12. Installing IPX support overloads Netware server

13. Our news server always gets overload