getgrid subroutine

Post by Dennis Boeynaem » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hey guys,

I'm under the impression that the getgrid call from a C program does not
access the NIS group map instead of the local /etc/group.  Am I overlooking
something because the man pages on the subroutine mention that when NIS is
active the call ATTEMPTS to access the map instead of the local file?

I especially like the ATTEMPT part of it all.  It seems to fail then or
should I use an undocumented parameter somewhere :-)

Appreciate any hints you might have

getgrid subroutine

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Hey guys,

>I'm under the impression that the getgrid call from a C program does not
>access the NIS group map instead of the local /etc/group.  Am I overlooking
>something because the man pages on the subroutine mention that when NIS is
>active the call ATTEMPTS to access the map instead of the local file?

>I especially like the ATTEMPT part of it all.  It seems to fail then or
>should I use an undocumented parameter somewhere :-)

It should access the map automatically.  The man page says "attempts" to
deal with the possibility that the NIS server could be down.  It means that
it sends the NIS query, but it could hardly be expected to guarantee that
it will get a response.

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

1. passwdexpire subroutine

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to change the massage that is displayed by this routine?
"Your password will expire in  N  days"
I would like to make the message stand out more. Say with BOLD fonts or even
blinking fonts. At lest a bigger font.

--
Dan

2. AIX malloc and fault tolerance

3. COFF Subroutines in C ?

4. lockf

5. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

6. Logitech First Mouse

7. csh and user functions or subroutines

8. Pentium-optimized gcc

9. RS/6000 subroutine linkage, stack layout and register saving

10. Library Subroutine idate.

11. Fast Floating Point Subroutine Library

12. What is the equivalent of the AIX disclaim subroutine on SUNOS5.8????

13. Subroutine