How do I use shared memory the same was as the heap memory?

Post by Rolf Schlu » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

How do I use shared memory the same was as the heap memory?

Rolf Schlup

How do I use shared memory the same was as the heap memory?

Post by David Schwart » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

        You need to phrase your question more specifically. In general, you do
use shared memory (among processes) the same way you use heap memory
(among threads).

        DS

Post by Steve Colema » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> How do I use shared memory the same was as the heap memory?

You might want to look at the ACE project where they have several C++
classes that provide for allocating objects in shared memory.

ACE
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

The ACE class index
Search this page for ACE_Shared_*
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/man/acewindex.html

--

 High Performance, fault tolerant, distributed, real-time computing
 <<-------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<--------->>

1. How do I use shared memory the same as the heap memory?

How do I use shared memory the same as the heap memory?  I want to put an
object in shared memory which will then be accessed and run by different
Sproc'ed processes.  The only way I can think of is to send a pointer to
shared memory.  But when I kill the process that created the instance of the
object, the pointer will be invalid. Is there a way to copy or create an
instance of an object in shared memory.  I am using shm.h.

Rolf Schlup

2. intel i810, XFree86, and linux 2.4 on a new Dell

3. Solaris Shared Memory, Shared Libraries and Heap

4. How to tell linux to auto-dial a ppp link?

5. Solaris 10: Increasing the process data space; shared memory segments & intimate shared memory problems

6. network interfaces

7. newbie question: mapping heap to shared memory

8. Problem with touchpad driver

9. How to see memory used per user; memory used per process

10. Using a shared lib as shared memory: Possible?

11. Shared Memory,Memory mapped files and Threads

12. AIX Shared Memory Segment (Not enough memory)

13. Device Driver that will allow access to Kernel memory from shared memory?