High Level Network Communication package info needed

High Level Network Communication package info needed

Post by Sajee Mathe » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

We are in the midst of designing a plan to convert an existing large
monolithic application into a set of distributed processes.  One of the
issues we need to address is what tool to use as the communication
facility.  We need a tool that is available on most UNIX platforms, OpenVMS
and Windows NT/95.  The only tool that fits that bill is sockets, but
because of the inherent complexities of using sockets we will only consider
it  as a last resort.

We looked at an RPC package called EZ-RPC. Can those of you who used this
package please send me your opinions about it?  I also heard of a package
called RPC Tool.  I've been trying to get an evaluation copy of this
package for a month but the salespeople won't return my calls (not a good
sign; plus the company has been purchased by MS!).  What's the word on this
tool?  Is it worth looking into?

Is ONC RPC available on OpenVMS?  I've used a public-domain port of ONC RPC
on NT but I wouldn't want to base a commercial product on it. Is there a
commercial version of ONC RPC for NT?

What other high-level toolkits are there that provide network
communications?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

:
: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks.

Take a look at CORBA.  It is a standard.  There are many
implementations to choose from.  CORBA removes the concern
over which protocol (intraprocess, interprocess, and network)
is being used. CORBA is object oriented and it provides
bindings for common languages like C and C++.  CORBA uses
and Interface Definition Language (IDL) to define the
interface so that programs written in different languages
and on different-endian hosts can communicate just fine.

Bob

High Level Network Communication package info needed

Post by Dave Monro » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

    I looked for ONC RPC support for VMS a couple of years ago; no luck.

    There may be something now, though.

    I was forced to use the VMS sockets implementation.  I think it was
    called UCX.  There was the usual ugliness associated with a VMS
    system call, but it worked fine.

    Hope this helps.

--
    ____                      __  ___
   / __ \____ __   _____     /  |/  /___  ____  _________  ___

1. High Level Network Engineer!!! Immediate Need

Looking for a High Level Network Engineer that also has Lan/Wan skills. Must
have exp. with cabletron hubs, ISDN, routers, hubs, SNMP, FDDI, and token
ring. You will work for one of the largest Pharmecutical companies in the
Research Triangle Park in Raleigh North Carolina. This is a contract to perm
position giving you a chance to make sure that this is where you want to be.

This need is immediate!!!!!!!!!

2. XWindows works, but no XTerm to start with!

3. Network communications protocols as user level processes?

4. System V (UNISYS) - Using "ct"

5. Setting up dialin PPP

6. Need high level charting tool

7. HELP! DNS woes

8. HELP: Need info on Interprocess Communication

9. HELP : NEED INFO ON INTERPROCESS COMMUNICATION

10. Need info on serial communication

11. Need info on 56kbps lines, ISDN, fast communications in general

12. Need info about managing large high availability sites