Printing to console window.

Post by David McLaughli » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

This is really going to depend on the flavor of Unix you are running.
On my HP-UX (Hewlett-Packard Unix) I can simply cat to /dev/console,
and it works.  Other Unixen have a function you can call within
a C program to write to the console.

Another solution to what you are trying to do may be to
simply write to a temporary file like /tmp/barf.
and then in a window do a tail -f /tmp/barf
to watch it.
Hope this helps,
David McLaughlin
--
Web: http://bert.cs.byu.edu/~dpm/homepage.html

1. X-Windows not redirecting console output to console window

We have installed X11R5 under Solaris 2.1, and everything works fine except that
output directly written to the console gets not redirected to the console window
(xterm -C). Under Solaris 1.X, console output redirection worked ok.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

--
Christian Rank
Lehrstuhl fuer Wirtschaftsinformatik * Universitaet Passau *

2. Cant kill using kill -9

3. How to present console messages without a console window?

4. Q: A simple ftp question

5. Why don't console message appear in my ``console'' window?

6. running linux on extensa 610 cd

7. Console (I know this is X windows newsgroup) font/window size

8. 3Com Megahertz 3CCFEM556B

9. It's Possible Printing Postscript Documents with lpr (linux) or print command ( windows)?

10. print window and print screen

11. Print from Solaris to Windows 2003 Print Server

12. Printing italics, bold, underline to UNIX printing for Windows

13. printing from windows to a linux print spool