Source code for news client...

Post by Fred Donnell » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,
    I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or gui-based.
I believe the operation is as "simple" as sending/recieving text through a
socket, but I am not sure.  I want to develop a program to download messages
in pure text form.  Thanks in advance for all responses.  :)

Fred

e-mail too please

Source code for news client...

Post by Kenneth Stah » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all,
>     I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or gui-based.
> I believe the operation is as "simple" as sending/recieving text through a
> socket, but I am not sure.  I want to develop a program to download messages
> in pure text form.  Thanks in advance for all responses.  :)

> Fred

> e-mail too please

ftp.ksc.nasa.gov/pub/winvn - use anonymous logon

Source code for news client...

Post by Scott Lanni » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

:     I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or
: gui-based. I believe the operation is as "simple" as sending/
: recieving text through a socket, but I am not sure.  I want to
: develop a program to download messages in pure text form.

Yeah, simple as that -- check out RFC 977.

One problem I encountered (when I made a Perl client) was DOS
vs. Unix end of line characters. After downloading several articles,
it would suddenly hang. Problem was the regexp for end of article
(dot on a line by itself) I was using was /^\.\n/. Whenever it
encountered a DOS-style article it would hang waiting for the
next line of input because the DOS end of line matches /^\.\r\n/.
My solution was to s/\r// every line. Hey, it worked...

--

"I do believe God gave me a spark of genius, but he quenched it
in misery." --Edgar Allan Poe

Source code for news client...

Post by Ted Dav » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 17:50:02 -0400, "Fred Donnelly"

>Hello all,
>    I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or gui-based.
>I believe the operation is as "simple" as sending/recieving text through a
>socket, but I am not sure.  I want to develop a program to download messages
>in pure text form.  Thanks in advance for all responses.  :)

>Fred

>e-mail too please

Cross posted to NGs for two different OSs and you want e-mail too?
How considerate.

You need to know about <http://www.freecode.com/>.  I saw only one
news reader as such - in C/C++, and a cross between WWW and
newsreader, but this place is perhaps *the* place to get code if you
don't care about such details as OS and language (you didn't mention
either, but the cross posting indicates you don't care).

Source code for news client...

Post by Victor Wagn » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Hello all,
:     I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or gui-based.
: I believe the operation is as "simple" as sending/recieving text through a
: socket, but I am not sure.  I want to develop a program to download messages
: in pure text form.  Thanks in advance for all responses.  :)

I'll reccomend you to look to the perl Net::NNTP module. If you are free
to choose tools, it might be tool of your choice. If not, it is quite
high-level implementation of NNTP protocol, which can be then rewritten
on C or something else. (type perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::libnet' at
the shell prompt)

Actually, there exist programs which do almost what you want - download
messages from remote newsserver to local and post messages which was
spooled locally to remote ones.

Most widespread are suck and newsx which cooperate with full-featured
local newsserver and leafnode which works like nntp cache.

All of them are available in source code. Check any major Linux archive
like metalab.unc.edu or ftp.debian.org.
: Fred

: e-mail too please

I don't answer questions by private E-Mail from this address.

Source code for news client...

Post by Harald Kirs » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Hello all,
>     I am looking for source code for a news client, text-based or gui-based.

I pretty nice newsreader implemented in lisp comes with every
emacs. It is called gnus.

Harald Kirsch
--
P.S.: Never ever mail me copies of your posts.