Line Printer Daemon Protocol - Help!

Post by Steven C Kin » Mon, 21 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I've been given a Visual Basic project that will use the LPR daemon to
handle print jobs.  According to the documentation written by Leo J.
McLaughlin III (August 1990), here's the first paragraph:

--
LPR is a TCP-based protocol.  The port on which a line printer daemon
listens is 515.  The source port must be in the range 721 to 731,

I've managed to create a socket that connects to port 515, but I'm
confused about the source port.  What exactly is the "source"?  Is it the
socket I used to connect to 515, or is it a different socket that listens

but my messages bounce saying "unknown user".  :-(  Can anyone offer any
assistance?  Also, why is the source port range limited?

--
{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}
{ Name: Steven C. King               Institution: Florida State University }

{                        "The way to do is to be."                         }
{--------------------------------------------------------------------------}

Line Printer Daemon Protocol - Help!

Post by H Brett Bol » Tue, 22 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I've been given a Visual Basic project that will use the LPR daemon to
>handle print jobs.  According to the documentation written by Leo J.
>McLaughlin III (August 1990), here's the first paragraph:

>--
>LPR is a TCP-based protocol.  The port on which a line printer daemon
>listens is 515.  The source port must be in the range 721 to 731,
>inclusive.  A line printer deamon responds to commands sent to its port.
>--

>I've managed to create a socket that connects to port 515, but I'm
>confused about the source port.  What exactly is the "source"?  Is it the
>socket I used to connect to 515, or is it a different socket that listens
>in the range of 721-731?

The client uses a port to send the data.  In unix it's done with
bind(), with visual basic its probably the same.  If the client
port isn't given it's chosen at random and wont be from the correct
range.

Check chapter 6 of UNP ( Unix Network Programming by Rich Stevens --
the TCP bible for us unix-heads).

b\253
--
b\253              | Take Chances, Make Mistakes

brett bolen        |     - Ms Frizzle - MSB
Walrus Consulting  | http://www.cpcug.org/user/brettb

1. Line printer daemon - PLEASE HELP !

Hi,
I have to buy a Laser printer to share in a LAN on which several computers
with different operating systems (os2, solaris, hp-unix, pc-dos) are attached.
All computers communicate via tcp/ip.
Is it possible under Linux control, through LP daemon, who can print on that
printer ? I suppose one can connect the laser printer through the parallel
port, and then start the Line-Printer Daemon.

Can I have more information on this subject ?
Actually I do not know Linux, but I could install it.

The possible  choiches for the printer are:

- HP LaserJet 4MPlus with JetDirect card
- LexMark Optra R+ without ethernet card

P.S. do I really need an ethernet card on the printer ?

Antonio Capobianco

2. Suggestion: JFS in Linux possible ?

3. Line-Printer Daemon - PLEASE HELP !

4. To read every five or ten data

5. search specification for daemon printer protocol dialogue sor solaris 2.6

6. Question about SSH

7. Problem of Solaris 2.4 printing with Line Printer Daemon

8. Even the simplest things are hard for Lo$eDOS 1900

9. Remote Line Printer Daemon

10. plp (line printer daemon)

11. line printer daemon (lpd) dies/loses connection on large print

12. RFC 1179 - Line Printer Daemon

13. Line printer daemon for UTS