POSIX system call interface and POSIX standard: questions

POSIX system call interface and POSIX standard: questions

Post by Neil Zanell » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:08:03

Hello,

I am looking for the POSIX standard which describes the system call
interface. Is POSIX.1 the only and most recent standard describing
POSIX syscalls? I checked http://webstore.ansi.org/ and found
various POSIX standards, most of which are considerably more
expensive than the C and C++ standards. It seems like the
documents of interest are the four ISO/IEC 9945 documents
from 2002, especially Parts 1 and 2 available for USD50 each.
There are also older more expensive documents. What is the
difference between the verious POSIX documents? Do the ISO/IEC
9945 2002 POSIX documents outdate others like DIN EN 29945-1?

Thanks,

Neil

POSIX system call interface and POSIX standard: questions

Post by Neil Zanell » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 10:17:18

Hello,

I recently noticed that ISO/IEC 9945 (in all of its four parts)
is made available by The Open Group at the following site:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm

I wonder if these pages differ in any way from the standard itself.
If not then why is ANSI charging so much for the pdf version?

Thanks,

Neil

> Hello,

> I am looking for the POSIX standard which describes the system call
> interface. Is POSIX.1 the only and most recent standard describing
> POSIX syscalls? I checked http://webstore.ansi.org/ and found
> various POSIX standards, most of which are considerably more
> expensive than the C and C++ standards. It seems like the
> documents of interest are the four ISO/IEC 9945 documents
> from 2002, especially Parts 1 and 2 available for USD50 each.
> There are also older more expensive documents. What is the
> difference between the verious POSIX documents? Do the ISO/IEC
> 9945 2002 POSIX documents outdate others like DIN EN 29945-1?

> Thanks,

> Neil

POSIX system call interface and POSIX standard: questions

Post by DINH Viêt Ho » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 17:59:56

Quote:> I recently noticed that ISO/IEC 9945 (in all of its four parts)
> is made available by The Open Group at the following site:

> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/toc.htm

> I wonder if these pages differ in any way from the standard itself.
> If not then why is ANSI charging so much for the pdf version?

sometimes, pages of that specification (I suppose that it is single unix
specification) will refer to IEEE, this is POSIX specification.

There is a draft available there :
http://wwwold.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/open/n3161

--
DINH V. Hoa,