Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

Post by Peter da Sil » Mon, 23 Dec 1991 03:06:30

Quote:> One drawback [with GNU diff] is that both
> files must completely fit in memory before the comparison starts.

That is an absolute killer for me. Is there an option to turn that off, as
in diff -h? I frequently need to diff streams that do not *have* a known end
(that is, I've got a couple of data streams that I'm going to run until I see
a specific type of difference).

Does it mmap() the files if that call is available?

Quote:>    grep,
> I've heard that GNU grep is one of the fastest.

The fastest grep I know is Karl Lehenbauer's "fasgrep" program, that does the
search on a large buffer instead of line-by-line. Does the gnu grep do that, or
even use mmap()?
--
-- Peter da Silva
-- Ferranti International Controls Corporation

Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

Post by Rens Troo » Thu, 26 Dec 1991 02:03:19

< stuff deleted >
   Note that byacc and Bison were written by the same person (hi, Bob!), and
   that byacc is in the public domain, while Bison is copylefted (and programs
   that use Bison fall under the GPL themselves!).

Ahem - I think not. I recall a thread in misc.gnu.discuss about two
years ago in which it was concluded that use of gnu development tools
does not free the program so generated. This I think was accepted by
Tower, at least. (Correct me If I'm wrong, please.)

-Rens

   --
   Sean Eric Fagan  | "One form to rule them all, one form to find them, one

   -----------------+  hell out of them" -- sendmail ruleset 3 comment from DEC.
/-----------------------------------------------\
|   J. Laurens Troost                           |
|   UNIX Systems Admin.                         |
|                                               |
|   email:                      Phone:          |

|                                               |
|                                               |
\-----------------------------------------------/

Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

Post by Sean Eric Fag » Thu, 26 Dec 1991 18:15:17

Quote:>Ahem - I think not. I recall a thread in misc.gnu.discuss about two
>years ago in which it was concluded that use of gnu development tools
>does not free the program so generated. This I think was accepted by
>Tower, at least. (Correct me If I'm wrong, please.)

Facts:

1.  The C code generated by both yacc and bison include a parser skeleton:
a snippet, non-trivial in size and function, that does some or all of the
guts of the work.  This skeleton, in bison, bears the standard FSF copyright
and license, aka the GPL or "copyleft."

2.  Including any copyrighted code into your own code generally means that
you will need to follow whatever license the owner of the copyright chooses
use.

3.  RMS has publicly stated that he believes the parser-skeleton in bison to
cause bison-generated programs to fall under the GPL as a result -- if you
don't like it, rewrite the skeletion and place it into the public domain,
copyright it yourself, whatever you choose.

All three of those say, to me, that bison generates programs that are
copyleft.  If you wish to challenge it in court, by all means, go ahead --
but bear in mind that the FSF's lawyer apparently believes that you would
lose, and, therefore, you would not have a cheap case.