c++ gui event handling - java-like

Post by Justin McReynold » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 04:24:13

I'm developing a form-based gui api in C++, and want to give the user a
better event-handling option than what xlib offers (the big switch
statement).  Specifically, I'm going to offer capabilities similar to java,
with event listener registration.  Has anyone seen something similar to
this?

thanks!
Justin

Post by Wim Lauwer » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:22:08

> I'm developing a form-based gui api in C++, and want to give the user a
> better event-handling option than what xlib offers (the big switch
> statement).  Specifically, I'm going to offer capabilities similar to java,
> with event listener registration.  Has anyone seen something similar to
> this?

> thanks!
> Justin

Have a look at Qt, http://www.trolltech.com , they use a system
with signals you have to connect to slots.

Wim

1. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Architect (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

This position involves writing commercial Internet shopping software
(and components) for resale (ecommerce) for a new 'dot com' software
startup which will soon apply to be traded on NASDAQ. A Smalltalk, Perl,
HTML, and OODB application server will be rewritten using a new
architecture. Existing Smalltalk GUI screens will need to be rewritten
as Java applets. New domain object edit GUIs will need to be designed
and developed, as well as other product enhancements. Significant new
enhancements will be analyzed, designed and developed. Many follow up
R&D projects and products are in the works, including those involving
intelligent agents. The ideal candidate will have:

   * at least 2 years Java experience (Smalltalk experience a bonus)
     with an emphasis in GUI work including Swing experience, and an
     understanding of Human Factors
   * at least 5 years of software development experience, preferably
     with a software vendor and/or a consulting company using OOA/OOD
     methodology
   * HTML/CGI experience, Perl a bonus
   * bachelor degree in Computing or equivalent

This Internet startup is well funded to turn an already working
prototype into a commercial product to humanize the Internet shopping
experience. Get in on the ground floor of this Internet startup and join
a team of very experienced software professionals. Our corporate culture
is centered on providing a fun workplace where engineers can grow both
technically and financially. Good salary plus excellent stock options
will enable the successful candidate to receive total compensation above
Toronto norms. Principals only submit resumes to

recruiter.)

2. 514 byte block i/o buffers in v6?

3. Toronto: Senior Java GUI Eng. (up to 90K+options): Java w/GUI emphasis, OOA/OOD, Swing

4. gnuplot 3.5 on Solaris 2.4

5. Joystick -->Create an event --> Handle this event

6. Network Impairment Emulator?

8. Crystal PNP Sound on IBM Thinkpad

9. Newbie: Likes to learn to write GUI programs in X11

10. Gosling likes idea of open source Java (Re: More as* kicking: Unilever picks J2EE over .NET)

11. java-like sockets in c++

12. event manager using GUI & middleware

13. Glade Programming, Handling system event sounds.