Convert .gif to .png utility

Post by Jim » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 02:33:13

Does anybody know of an utility that will convert .png image files to
.gif.
I have to do this for about 15,000+ images.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Convert .gif to .png utility

Post by mike burrel » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 03:58:48

> Does anybody know of an utility that will convert .png image files to
> .gif.
> I have to do this for about 15,000+ images.

the Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) would be able to do this via script-fu, but
it may have too much overhead for what you're looking for.

the libpng project has a tool called pnmtopng
(http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pnmtopng.html), which has a
corresponding pngtopnm component.  also, the NetPBM project
(http://netpbm.sourceforge.net) has a ppmtogif component.  thus, you could
do:
        pngtopnm my_pic.png | ppmtogif > my_pic.gif

i haven't done any extensive testing on either approach, so i don't know how
quick (and memory efficient) they'd be.  HTH

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l

  X        AGAINST HTML MAIL,

Convert .gif to .png utility

Post by Rouben Rostami » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:02:52

>Does anybody know of an utility that will convert .png image files to
>.gif.
>I have to do this for about 15,000+ images.

Search for Jef Poskanzer's netpbm toolkit.  It does that a lot more.
In your case, you can do something like:

  giftopnm image.gif | pnmtopng > image.png

With 15,000+ images, I would put this in a for-loop inside
a shell script.

--

Convert .gif to .png utility

Post by Samuel Hocev » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:24:15

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 17:33:13 GMT,

> Does anybody know of an utility that will convert .png image files to
> .gif. I have to do this for about 15,000+ images.

   The `convert' utility from the ImageMagick suite does this pretty
well, you just have to do :

      convert foo.gif foo.png

   And run this through a script. As suggested in this thread, you might
also write a Gimp script-fu that does the job. And it would actually
be the /fastest/ method of all since you would do the file browsing in
LISP, thus not quitting Gimp during the whole process, instead of having
a shell script calling 15,000+ instances of a binary (or even two).

Sam.
--

for DVDs in Linux*the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \
      perl -ne 's/\.//g; print pack("H224",$1) if(/^x([^z]*)/)' | gunzip

1. PNG binaries available - convert GIF images to PNG and PNG <-> PNM

Linux binaries for pnmtopng, pngtopnm, and gif2png are available at:
    http://www.universe.digex.net/~dave/files/pngstuff.tgz
If you have trouble dowloading that, see
    http://www.universe.digex.net/~dave/files/index.html
for helpful instructions.

PNG is the image format that renders GIF obsolete.  It is perfect in
every way.  For details on that, you can visit the PNG home page at:
    http://www.wco.com/~png/

The only shared libraries you need are libc and libm; all of the
others are linked statically.

The README is appended.

- -- DWF

This archive contains Linux binaries for pnmtopng, pngtopnm, and

I did not write any of this software; please see the files
README.gif2png and pnmtopng.copyright to read the authors' copyright
notices.

This software is provided 'as-is,' without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the authors or I be held liable for any
damages arising from the use of this software, and it is not
guaranteed to be stable or correct in any way.  So there.

I used the versions of everything that were publicly available as of
1997-04-06:

    pnmtopng-2.34
    gif2png 0.6 (beta)
    zlib-1.0.4 (statically linked)
    libpng-0.90 (statically linked)
    netpbm-1mar1994 (statically linked)

The only shared library dependencies for these binaries are the usual
libc and libm.

Credits to everybody:  pnmtopng / pngtopnm is by Alexander Lehmann

a cast of thousands.  The PNG specification is by a committee of the

For more information on PNG, see <URL:http://www.wco.com/~png/>.  To
download the original distributions, see
<URL:http://www.wco.com/~png/pngcode.html>.

- -- DWF, 1997-04-06

- --

2. Can't make changes to /etc/issue stick across reboots

3. converting powerpoint to gif/jpg/png?

4. "splstr()" and "splx()" functions

5. Convert swf to png or gif

6. Minicom and keyboard problem

7. How to convert PNG to GIF?

8. Apache | log files | file-type control

9. Looking for utility to convert encapsulated Postscript -> gif, jpg, tif, etc.

10. .wav to .gif (or .png)

11. PNG is better than gif because....

12. Capture an X-window as a .jpg or .png or (if I must) a .gif

13. PNG to GIF