cpuinfo and meminfo

Post by ddee.. » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
Is there any system function which can tell me how much memory and cpu
is being used by any process?
It seems that in the /proc directory there are 2 files of this name, but
is this a standard thing or the format of the file differs from one
system to another?
Any help would be grately appreciated.

regards,
deepak

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

cpuinfo and meminfo

Post by Walsh Brow » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Is there any system function which can tell me how much memory and cpu
> is being used by any process?
> It seems that in the /proc directory there are 2 files of this name,
but
> is this a standard thing or the format of the file differs from one
> system to another?
> Any help would be grately appreciated.

> regards,
> deepak

I have seen the /proc filesystem on Solaris and Linux.  However, I know
this does not exist on AIX or BSD/OS.  There is a system routine that
will get you CPU and memory usage (among other things) for a given
process.  That routine is getrusage().  I think this is standard across
Unicies (UNIXes?).  For more info, man getrusage.

-- Walsh

--
Walsh Brown

Sometimes I sit and think...sometimes I just sit.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

cpuinfo and meminfo

on linux: man sysinfo

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I have seen the /proc filesystem on Solaris and Linux.  However, I know
>this does not exist on AIX or BSD/OS.

and note that /proc under solaris, is COMPLETELY different than linux.

The word of the day is mispergitude