File Operations With Journaling

Post by Iv » Wed, 23 May 2001 06:55:39

Hello,

As a student I am thinking of developing a library for file operations with
journaling. First of all, can you tell me is there anything like that done
already. Secondly, since I gonna use standart UNIX/C functions how can I be
sure that algorithms won't be interrupted. However the main idea is my
library to do some operatoins like following:

        1) log requested file operation
        2) execute requested operation using UNIX-style open(), read(), write() ...
        3) clear the log

In the future I intend to add functions that log even the transactions itself to
be possible to restore the requested operation.

But for now it is supposed to be just a BARE-BONE library. I need more theoretical
help with this problem so please let me now what you think about my project.

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance.

File Operations With Journaling

Post by Ragnar Hojland Espino » Wed, 23 May 2001 13:46:13

Quote:> Hello,

> As a student I am thinking of developing a library for file operations with
> journaling. First of all, can you tell me is there anything like that done
> already. Secondly, since I gonna use standart UNIX/C functions how can I

Well.. Journaling really belongs to filesystems, not libraries. You
could have a look at reiserfs for example, which is now included in
the linux kernel.

--
____/| Ragnar H?jland      Freedom - Linux - OpenGL |   Brainbench MVP
\ o.O| PGP94C4B2F0D27DE025BE2302C104B78C56 B72F0822 | for Unix

1. Journaling File System for Linux (ext3 and ReiserFS)

If you're considering beta code, you should also consider IBM's JFS,
SGI's XFS, as well as the "Tux2" filesystem.

All have differing qualities that might commend them to your needs, or
discommend them.  None is so clearly superior to the others as to be
unambiguously considered "best."

I would think it fairly silly to implement your own journaling file
system when there are all these existing ones already.  If you're
interested in working on the implementation of one of these, you
should take a look at their web sites and see which is most suitable
for you to contribute to.

The ReiserFS group have an open mailing list, and various developers
contribute code to it; they certainly are accepting of good
contributions of code.  Some of the others involve somewhat less
public communities and may be more difficult to contribute to.  Your
milage will vary...
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/internet.html
Rules of  the Evil Overlord #168. "I  will plan in advance  what to do

2. xdm: strange xterm-behaviour. Why?! Please help...

3. ReiserFS and SGI XFS journaling file systems?

4. Getting Started

5. Journaling Filesystem with Individual File Compression?

6. ftpd login message - Solaris 2.5

7. Veritas Journaling File System

8. cancel <unix-faq/faq/part7_1088448081@rtfm.mit.edu>

9. file system operations on open files

10. Quotas on Journaling File Systems

11. Journaling Filesystem with Individual File Compression?

12. Journaling file system (Ext3 or SGI's)

13. A journaling file system for Linux?