PASCAL rules

Post by Andrew N. Westmey » Mon, 23 Nov 1992 06:28:16

Hey guys,

     What's going down?  I am in a comp sci class which utilizes Object
Pascal Genie, a graphically interfaced Pascal environment.  It's
user-friendly.  I am thoroughly convinced that Pascal is THE best
computer language, and those who think otherwise can go to hell.

Have a nice day,
Andrew

PASCAL rules

Post by Dave Schauma » Tue, 24 Nov 1992 06:32:35

Quote:>Hey guys,

>     What's going down?

Quote:>I am in a comp sci class which utilizes Object
>Pascal Genie, a graphically interfaced Pascal environment.  It's
>user-friendly.  I am thoroughly convinced that Pascal is THE best
>computer language

Isn't that special!

Quote:>and those who think otherwise can go to hell.

I thought about replying with a long list of reasons why Pascal isn't
"THE best computer language", but it's obvious Mr. Westmeyer isn't
interested in debate, so why bother?

Instead, I think it's best to ponder a few questions:

  1.  Pascal has been available for over 20 years.  Why do you suppose
      it hasn't taking the computing world by storm?  (Particularly
      computer scientists, who make it their business to study and
      improve computer languages.)

  2.  Nicklaus Wirth, the principle author of Pascal, has designed at
      least two other programming languages (Modula 2 and Oberon) since
      coming up with Pascal.  Why do you suppose he did that?  (One would
      suppose once you've found "THE best computer language", it would be
      the height of folly to try to produce something better...)

  3.  If Pascal (an imperative language) is the best computer language,
      why do you suppose there is so much interest in functional, logic,
      and object oriented programming languages?

Quote:>Have a nice day,

No thanks, I've already got one.

Quote:>Andrew

--
What I've learned from reading net news #1:
  It's important to do a lot of outside reading, because you never know

1. iptables: rule with RETURN target just after a rule with ACCEPT target

Hi, I've seen in several scripts the following layout:

iptables criteria -j ACCEPT
iptables the_same_criteria_as_above -j RETURN

for example:

iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 100 -j ACCEPT
iptables  -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 100 -j RETURN

The last rule will be never matched, because all tcp incoming
connections will be accepted, and then will go throw the next chain.
So, What is the usefulness of this configuration?

IMHO, I think is for changing the scripts in a fast way (just
commenting on the first line will yield in default policy for the
INPUT chain)

TIA

2. Bootdisk freezes on my Acer 486DX/33

3. ipf.conf /ipf.rules/ ipnat.rules or conf

4. Ethernet initialization

5. Converting ipchains rules to iptables rules?

6. connecting-computers

7. iptables: rule with RETURN target after a rule with the ACCEPT target

8. Netscape and Sound player

9. Jumpstart issue: Could not find matching rule in rules.ok

10. Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter - Linux Rules,Rocks

11. Makefile : Rule of one line & Rule of some lines

12. PF vs IPF keep state rules (was 'ipf to pf rules conversion problems')

13. No REAL Pascal compiler for Linux, but ... (Was: Any Pascal ...)