Mini-curses (or many curses?)

Post by Larry Dress » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 09:21:23

--

Mini-curses (or many curses?)

Post by Larry Dress » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 21:22:01

   I don't know why Pico fails to print my message but here it is:

   I'm trying to write a very small program that doesn't use much memory
and don't want to call the standard curses library.  I just need to use a
couple of functions from it so either want to write my own or to find a
mini-curses source that already does this.  Can anybody give me any
hints, direct me to good books and/or source about this?

   Thanks in advance.

   Larry Dresser

--

Mini-curses (or many curses?)

Post by Jim Ert » Thu, 09 Jun 1994 23:42:15

>   I'm trying to write a very small program that doesn't use much memory
>and don't want to call the standard curses library.  I just need to use a
>couple of functions from it so either want to write my own or to find a
>mini-curses source that already does this.  Can anybody give me any
>hints, direct me to good books and/or source about this?

   Curses actually relies on termcap or termlib ( depending on the
operating system that you are using ).  You should be able to use the
libraries that go along with this to extract the specific functions
that you need.

--
James A. Ertle                       |

UVM's EMBA Computer Facility         |      a lunch?
Burlington, Vt. USA                  |

Mini-curses (or many curses?)

Post by Davor Slamn » Fri, 10 Jun 1994 22:12:18

>    I'm trying to write a very small program that doesn't use much memory
> and don't want to call the standard curses library.  I just need to use a
> couple of functions from it so either want to write my own or to find a
> mini-curses source that already does this.  Can anybody give me any
> hints, direct me to good books and/or source about this?

        It's not that easy to avoid curses, if you want to use
        function & cursor keys, becauses curses use the information
        in the terminal terminfo.
        To write your own code to read the terminfo would be
        rather painful (and then to translate your terminal I/O
        accordingly).
Slama

Mini-curses (or many curses?)

Post by Mike Suz » Sun, 12 Jun 1994 02:37:35

It's been a while since I looked at it, but doesn't the code for
elvis (the FSF vi clone) have the code for some "subset" of curses?  I
thought they did this for the same reason as the original poster - they
only needed some tiny part of curses functionality.
Check it out at your favorite GNU site...  Should at least point you
in the right direction if you need to roll your own.

--
|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|

|  Marketing Director - Friday Knight Games                 |
|  aka "That F*K*G company!"                                |
|+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|

1. curses curses curses

Last year I developed a curses based program on my SUN IPC (Sunos 4.1.2).
Sunos 4.1.2 has a SysV version of curses, that is the version I used.
I recently tried to compile my program with the new SUN C compiler
(version 2.0.1 I think).  The curses routines that come with this compiler
are BSD routines.  BSD curses and SysV curses do not seem to be compatible.
The compilation crashed (unrecognized symbols being a glaring problem).
I logged into a Solaris 2.1 based SUN that also had the new Sun C compiler
installed, and it too had BSD curses.

I would like to know why Sun chose BSD curses for their C compiler.  I
thought they would surely use SysV curses for Solaris 2.x, since it is
SysV based (or does SVR4 use BSD curses by default?).

Is the source for SysV curses available via anon ftp?

Thanks for any help you can send.

--

2. WinXP ask for username/password when setting up access to a CUPs printer in Suse 8.2

3. system()'ing a curses app from a curses app

4. telnet trouble thats tough

5. Curses?. . .Curses!

6. TOO SLOW: `echo ${LINE} | sed -n 's/^.* proto //p' | cut -f1 -d" "`

7. cursed curses

8. bootdisk cant recognize my SCSI-CDROM (Panasonic/NEC PD/CD-ROM) (Slakware2.3)

9. Is _UNIX Curses Explained_ THE book on curses?

10. Curses (Cursed or a blessing?)

11. Curses source/alternatives to curses ?

12. Slow curses - is there a better/faster curses?

13. Cast a resizing curse on curses