dialup networking - what's on the other end ?

dialup networking - what's on the other end ?

Post by vide.. » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I tried to connect to a remote host from Linux box via modem and I
received some information from the host but I don't know what is it.
What should I expect when connecting to a dialup server ? PPP daemon ?
None of that info looks like PPP packets. I would like to know what kind
of information is exchanged between hosts right after detecting the
carrier. It doesn't look like binary data, it is more character -
based info (sometimes it has Login: and Password: strings in it, but
sometimes it's just something like WH48110, 53333/ARQ or UQKT2 and
hostname; sometimes nothing happens, the other side seems to be waiting
for me to initiate the exchange - depending on what dialup number I
use). If anybody could refer me to some info on what kind of protocol is
that, I would be most obliged.

Thank you,

PS. that info is somehow related to PPP setup program (pppcfg?) on Linux
- it also requires username and password. What is that ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Alex Verst » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I tried to connect to a remote host from Linux box via modem and I
> received some information from the host but I don't know what is it.
> What should I expect when connecting to a dialup server ? PPP daemon ?

What should I expect when picking up the phone?  Claudia Shiffer?

Quote:> None of that info looks like PPP packets. I would like to know what kind
> of information is exchanged between hosts right after detecting the
> carrier. It doesn't look like binary data, it is more character -
> based info (sometimes it has Login: and Password: strings in it, but

Looks like a normal login: prompt.  This is probably a variation of
login(1).

Quote:> sometimes it's just something like WH48110, 53333/ARQ or UQKT2 and
> hostname;

Dunno, probably some PAP/CHAP authentication stuff.

Quote:> sometimes nothing happens, the other side seems to be waiting
> for me to initiate the exchange

Might be telnet, which expects to negotiate options before it sends
anything.

Quote:> - depending on what dialup number I
> use). If anybody could refer me to some info on what kind of protocol is
> that, I would be most obliged.

Well, I can put anything I want on a serial line.  Ask the
administrator of the system you are dialing.

Quote:> PS. that info is somehow related to PPP setup program (pppcfg?) on Linux
> - it also requires username and password. What is that ?

So, read the fine manual on PPP configuration.

--
Drive^H^Hnk safely!
Alex Verstak                 averstak at vt dot edu

Post by Bernard Chandle » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Might be telnet, which expects to negotiate options before it sends
> anything.

> > - depending on what dialup number I
> > use). If anybody could refer me to some info on what kind of protocol is
> > that, I would be most obliged.

> Well, I can put anything I want on a serial line.  Ask the
> administrator of the system you are dialing.

> > PS. that info is somehow related to PPP setup program (pppcfg?) on Linux
> > - it also requires username and password. What is that ?

> So, read the fine manual on PPP configuration.

> --
> Drive^H^Hnk safely!
> Alex Verstak                 averstak at vt dot edu
> 1078 Ambler Johnston East             *ia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA 24060-0022       Tel. (540) 232-1389

Sorry I missed the beginning of the string. However this sound like typical
symptoms of a system that is not using hupcl

stty(1)                                                             stty(1)

 NAME
      stty - set the options for a terminal port

 SYNOPSIS
      stty [-a | -g | options]

 DESCRIPTION
      stty sets or reports current settings of certain terminal I/O options
      for the device that is the current standard input.  The command takes
      four forms:
    hupcl (-hupcl)           Hang up (do not hang up) modem connection on
                             last close.

1. ISP Newby Question Regarding: FreeBSD Dialin Internet Gateway/Windows '95 Dialup Networking

Okay, okay.  I have an easy one for all of you out there.  I've
surmounted all the other peculiarities in establishing my FreeBSD box as
a dialup PPP gateway to the internet...but this one.  The problem
involves Windows '95 dialup networking.  As you most probably know in
dial-up networking, you double-click Make New Connection to create a new
dialup account.  In doing so, you give the account a username and
password and have the ability to configure various TCP/IP functions,
etc.  All of these configurations are fine for my dialup account (the
FreeBSD gateway).  I can confirm this by having my new dialup connection
bring up a terminal window after dialing.  In this mode, I can enter the
username and password manually.  Voila!  A PPP connection is
established.  I hit continue and all is well.  I can now browse the
internet.  BUT -- If I turn off Bring Up Terminal Windows After Dialing
and redial, Windows '95 Dialup Networking is not able to establish a
connection automatically using the username/password that I've entered.
I'm not certain as to why this is...and am beginning to wonder if
perhaps it involves the modem initialization string that is stored in
NVRAM for my Sportster modem.  I'm thinking that perhaps Windows isn't
seeing the complete "ogin:" or something to this effect.  I'm sure
someone out there has come across this one and I'd be interested to
learn your solution.  Thanks in advance.

2. CDE

3. 'talk' can't connect to others on the net

4. Burst of sleeping processes

5. mmap'd file ends with '!', copy doesn't

6. BGP4 under gated?

7. SUID 'OTHERS'

8. Linux 1.2.11 compile error

9. D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'

10. Modem dials in minicom and some versions of 'pppscript' file but not others??

11. You've got yours, I've got mine... let the others in their shit!

12. VisionFS 1.2 on SCO 5.04: Some PC's see host, others don't