Good autoconf/automake book?

Post by Mosh » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:03:07

I'm writing an open-source program that I need to be portable, and I was
thinking of using GNU autoconf and automake to achieve this. However, they
seem very hard to use, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good
book on the topic.

Thanks,
Moshe

--
*** SPAM BLOCK: Remove bra before replying! ***
Moshe Jacobson :: http://runslinux.net :: moshe at runslinux dot net

Good autoconf/automake book?

Post by Frank.Limstr.. » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 02:07:00

Quote:> I'm writing an open-source program that I need to be portable, and I was
> thinking of using GNU autoconf and automake to achieve this. However,
> they seem very hard to use, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend
> a good book on the topic.

> Thanks,
> Moshe

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html

HTH

Post by Maurizio Loret » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:59:31

> I'm writing an open-source program that I need to be portable, and I was
> thinking of using GNU autoconf and automake to achieve this. However, they
> seem very hard to use, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good
> book on the topic.

autoconf and automake both come with a manual, included in the
distribution.  It is available under www.gnu.org in the
'documentation' section; a printable version (180 and 67 pages) is
also available in our 'local documentation' page, at the URL
wwwcdf.pd.infn.it/localdoc.html (a collection of 176 software
manuals).

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html

Good autoconf/automake book?

Post by Mosh » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:38:54

Maurizio Loreti had nothing better to do than to say:

Quote:> also available in our 'local documentation' page, at the URL
> wwwcdf.pd.infn.it/localdoc.html (a collection of 176 software
> manuals).

Wow, that's quite a collection! I've just bookmarked the page :)

Thanks,
Moshe

--
*** SPAM BLOCK: Remove bra before replying! ***
Moshe Jacobson :: http://runslinux.net :: moshe at runslinux dot net

1. "GNU Autoconf, Automake and Libtool Book"

BUMBLEBEE BUZZ:

  If one wants to learn how properly to use these tools, does
the reputed chaotic layout of the "GNU Autoconf, Automake and
Libtool Book" make it a bad bet (Amazon customer reviews, and
other reviews)? Would that book be truly worthwhile to peruse
or even to include in a mini-distribution of Debian meant for
the desktop and to represent the "best of Linux"?

  [http://packages.debian.org/testing/doc/autobook.html]
  [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578701902/qid=1021046917/sr=8...]

  Wondering Engineer

2. Partition Table

3. Good example of autoconf/automake ?

4. IDE/SCSI boot question

5. automake/autoconf: linking object files built with different compilers

6. Slow printing speed - real slow1

7. problem while autoconf/automake

8. gethostname

9. autoconf/automake

10. Autoscan, Autoconf, and Automake - HOWTO?

11. Please help with autoconf and automake.

12. Posting Application With autoconf and automake

13. autoconf/automake