1. Solaris x86 2.1 install succeeds but 2.4 fails
Solaris 2.1 installs fine on this hardware. But when using exactly the same
BIOS, chipset, and jumper settings, Solaris 2.4 installation fails.
SOYO SY-025J2 VLB motherboard, with SIS chipset (85C407 and 85C471).
1 72-pin SIMM of 16MB
ADAPTEC 1542B (port 330h, DMA channel 6, DMA speed 5MB/s, interrupt 11,
BIOS enabled, synchronous negotiation disabled,
SCSI terminators removed)
DISK : seagate ST31200N (1GB, scsi address 0, terminator enabled)
CDROM : external SUN drive model 411 (scsi address 6, external terminator)
I tried with various settings (L2 cache OFF/WRITE TROUGH/WRITE BACK, extra wait
states for L2 cache and for main memory, CPU clock 33MHZ/8MHZ).
All BIOS shadowing and green features are set OFF.
Memory and system board are successfully tested with 'checkit', and
the 1542 BIOS DMA-test reports no errors.
I get the following symptoms when installing Solaris 2.4:
After the SunOs Copyright message, the Solaris 2.4 installation gives a
'WARNING: clock gained ...' message.
About 14 seconds later, messages appear on the screen.
The ones that aren't immediately scrolled off are:
transport completed with incomplete
SCSI transport failed: reason 'incomplete': retrying command
.. previous 4 lines repeated 3 times
SCSI transport failed: reason 'incomplete': giving up
The CDROM light goes off, but the '\' character keeps tumbling in
the lower left corner of the screen.
Any hints to resolve this would be appreciated.
2. Using the mouse port as a kernal console (can it be done)?
3. rsh Not Succeeding Then Succeeding
4. g++ for solaris7 x86
5. cc,gcc,egcs, etc, etc....
6. FreeBSD 3.1 and XOpenDisplay problems while using the postgresql?
7. Precompiled cc, cc++, gcc for Solaris 2.4 x86
8. Kernel crash dump
9. help: cc/gcc/egcs broken
10. cc: Can't exec /usr/ccs/bin/ld (Solaris Express build 52)
11. what is difference between "gcc" and "egcs cc"?
12. Blocking connect() fails, non-blocking succeeds?
13. Telent succeeds, rlogin fails