best way to distribute files from server (rcp, ftp, ?)

best way to distribute files from server (rcp, ftp, ?)

Post by Jason Rosenbe » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 04:13:17

Hello,

I am developing a CD-ROM jukebox server running on a SunSparc 10,
with SunOs 4.1.  I am trying to figure out the best way of getting
individual files to various client machines over the network.  So
far I am aware of rcp and ftp.  I'm wondering if there are any other
better ways of doing it, in terms of speed of transmission and
reliability.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Not that rcp and/or ftp are unacceptable.  I'm just trying to get all
the info.  I think ftp is probably good, in that it doesn't require
the client to necessarily be a unix machine.  But I think rcp might
be a little faster.

Thanks,

Jason
--
Jason Rosenberg                           Computer Science Department

{uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!jason      Los Angeles, CA  90024

Post by Lee Sailer ( » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 03:25:09

> Hello,
> I am developing a CD-ROM jukebox server running on a SunSparc 10,
> with SunOs 4.1.  I am trying to figure out the best way of getting
> individual files to various client machines over the network.  So
> far I am aware of rcp and ftp.  I'm wondering if there are any other
> better ways of doing it, in terms of speed of transmission and
> reliability.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Why not just make the jukebox available as an exported file system?

Post by John Chambe » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 08:48:57

> Hello,

> I am developing a CD-ROM jukebox server running on a SunSparc 10,
> with SunOs 4.1.  I am trying to figure out the best way of getting
> individual files to various client machines over the network.  So
> far I am aware of rcp and ftp.  I'm wondering if there are any other
> better ways of doing it, in terms of speed of transmission and
> reliability.  Any suggestions are welcomed.

Some time ago I ran a bunch of timing tests with all the IP-based file
transfer  packages  I  could  lay  my  hands  on,  and  I was somewhat
surprised by the results.  The winner, by a LARGE  margin,  was  uucp.
While  other  packages  differed  by the 20% or 50% that you'd expect,
with ftp the winner by a nose in most cases, uucp beat out  ftp  by  a
FACTOR  of between 3 and 4.  I couldn't explain it; I did sorta wonder
how ftp (which was designed to run over TCP) could lose to uucp (which
was  designed  to run over serial lines and was retrofitted with a TCP
driver rather recently as such things go).

Of course, only a few vendors actually supply functional uucps with IP
(usually TCP) drivers, so it may not be an option in your environment.

Since  then,  Taylor  uucp  has  been  slowly  supplanting  the  other
versions,  and I think it can do TCP.  I wonder how it competes in the
contest.  Any numbers out there?

(I've generally argued that you need to install all the  file-transfer
packages  that  you  can  get ahold of, in the hopes that maybe one of
them will work between any given pair of machines.  ;-)

--
All opinions Copyright (c) 1994 by John Chambers.  Inquire for licensing at:
1-617-647-1813 ...!{harvard.edu,eddie.mit.edu,ruby.ora.com}!minya!jc

best way to distribute files from server (rcp, ftp, ?)

Post by Rob Dori » Mon, 24 Jan 1994 12:36:13

You can also try using rdist(1) which might do the trick.  Although
you would have to maintian a list of things to distribute.  It's
pretty easy to use, just read the man pages (haven't used in a
while:).

G'luck,

Rob

1. Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

I have to distribute files to quite a number of remote machines.

I want to be able to do the following:
- distribute from account userA on machineA to account userB on
   machineB C ... Z
- distribute from filesystem /a/b/c to filesystem /x/y/c
- distribution to be fast even if files are large
- incremental distribution
- if host machine is unavailable or if copy fails, get an error message
- have a way of checking after the distribution is complete to see if the
files got there (some kind of logging mechanism and ls -lrt output)
- able to use ssh

I've heard of rdist, rsync and cfengine.

Can these do the above, and is any of them preferable over the other?
And is pull technology better than push technology and if so, why?

2. Drivers for Banshee and Voodoo3?

3. Any easy ways to replicate files accross Solaris 2 servers?

4. Is 2.2.6 kernel worth going to?

5. Most efficient method to move files between systems, ftp or rcp?

6. need help: unknown C-declaration

7. Which is fastest program for copying files over network e.g rcp, ftp, scp, rsync

8. Driver for UPS (LU-1250A) ????

9. Best ways to increase the security of my linux box

10. Best ways to handle function keys?

11. Request for info on Virtual/Distributed File Servers/Backup Systems

12. Q: The Best Ways to Have 4GB Linux Box

13. Best ways to optimise Linux