kill -9 doesn't kill a process!

Post by David C. Mesche » Fri, 05 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: Hi All,

: How could a process act this way? We are using many shared and static
: libraries, could this have something to do with it? We are also using a
: messaging middleware (DEC MessageQ) that polls on a communications port -
: another possibility? I am not familiar with the internals of UNIX, but there
: must be a way to kill the process and/or discover the source of this unusual
: behavior.

: I am on version HPUX 10 and building the executables using the CC compiler.
I'm not too sure about HPUX, but I have had problems under both Solaris 2x,
Solaris 1x, and AIX, where the process is accessing a SCSI device,
w/o disconnect, and I kill the process, and it will not die, because the
process is already blocked.  Or more accurately, it won't die until the
SCSI command finishes.  [Which can take up to a half-hour...]

The same thing may be occuring w/ the com port thingy if the process
interacts with it.

--

COMMERCIAL SOLICITATIONS ARE NOT WELCOME AT THE ABOVE ADDRESS.

TANSTAAFL!

kill -9 doesn't kill a process!

Post by Stephen Bayne » Sat, 06 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> : Hi All,

> : How could a process act this way? We are using many shared and static
> : libraries, could this have something to do with it? We are also using a
> : messaging middleware (DEC MessageQ) that polls on a communications port -
> : another possibility? I am not familiar with the internals of UNIX, but there
> : must be a way to kill the process and/or discover the source of this unusual
> : behavior.

> : I am on version HPUX 10 and building the executables using the CC compiler.
> I'm not too sure about HPUX, but I have had problems under both Solaris 2x,
> Solaris 1x, and AIX, where the process is accessing a SCSI device,
> w/o disconnect, and I kill the process, and it will not die, because the
> process is already blocked.  Or more accurately, it won't die until the
> SCSI command finishes.  [Which can take up to a half-hour...]

> The same thing may be occuring w/ the com port thingy if the process
> interacts with it.

I belive it can also happen on HPUX.

It is normally a sign of something wrong with a device or its driver.

I belive is is also possible for an application to get into this state using
calls a de* would use, but I would doubt this is applicable in this case.

--

Philips Semiconductors Ltd
Southampton SO15 0DJ                        +44 (01703) 316431

1. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

Try this method:
kill -9 non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/prun non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/pmap non-killed-pid
This method works perfectly with Solaris 6. Sometimes you can do it
without the "kill -9 non-killed-pid"

P.S. I don't know about other versions and about some hardware programs,
like tar.

Eugene S. Ilchenko, System Network Administrator
http://secinf.net/

2. unix shutdown scripts

3. kill -9 doesn't kill a process

4. Can someone help me debug my sound setup ?

5. kill -9 doesn't kill a process ?

6. Maximum CDE and RedHat 6.0

7. kill -9 doesn't kill (continued)

8. I've lost my long filenames on a CD-Rom after upgrading to kernel 2.4.3. What gives???

9. why doesn't "kill -9 -1" kill KDE control-panel

10. how to kill a process when kill -9 won't

11. Kill -9 won't kill a process

12. Can a process kill its child if it's killed -9

13. Can't Kill Zombie processes, even with kill -9 (pid)