Broadcast RPC (Well, any network broadcast code...)

Broadcast RPC (Well, any network broadcast code...)

Post by Martin N. Ste » Thu, 03 Dec 1992 01:42:15

Hello there,

I am hoping someone will be able to help me.....

I am trying to write a program that broadcasts (RPC or not) out to the entire
local network, with all hosts running my program to repsond, with the
original instance printing the results.

I am after a similar effect to rup, and rusers. I can't find any code
relating to these anywhere - I presume the versions I have are proprietry Sun
code. I had hoped that there were BSD versions somewhere, but archie turned
up nothing.

I posted a while back about broadcast code, thanks to all those who replied,
however useful as what I was told was, it doesn't really help me in my
current problem.

I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction....

Martin.

--
Martin N. Steed

Broadcast RPC (Well, any network broadcast code...)

Post by Kazuro Furuka » Fri, 04 Dec 1992 21:03:37

Quote:

>I am after a similar effect to rup, and rusers. I can't find any code
>relating to these anywhere - I presume the versions I have are proprietry Sun
>code. I had hoped that there were BSD versions somewhere, but archie turned
>up nothing.

Hello,

I made "rup" source codes available on an anonymous ftp server.
Please try it.

        olive.kek.jp [130.87.161.6] : /pub/unix/rup/rup.tar.Z

I wrote this to test the broadcast capabilities of Sun-rpc.  As
Ultrix does not have "rup" command, I think some people need it.
I tested this version of "rup" on Ultrix, Sun-OS and Hp-UX.

I also included rstatd server for Ultrix which originally came
from ftp.cs.widener.edu and was modified slightly.

Please tell me if you find bugs, like it or dislike it.

By the way, is there source code for the "tsearch" library routine
available?  If so, please tell me.

Kazuro.
--
Kazuro Furukawa
National Laboratory for High Energy Physics (KEK), Japan

Broadcast RPC (Well, any network broadcast code...)

Post by Darren Re » Tue, 08 Dec 1992 01:49:07

Quote:>Hello there,
>I am hoping someone will be able to help me.....
>I am trying to write a program that broadcasts (RPC or not) out to the entire
>local network, with all hosts running my program to repsond, with the
>original instance printing the results.
>I am after a similar effect to rup, and rusers. I can't find any code
>relating to these anywhere - I presume the versions I have are proprietry Sun
>code. I had hoped that there were BSD versions somewhere, but archie turned
>up nothing.

I think the problem is that these are the only two RPC programs which are
really orientated towards operation with broadcasts.

darren