Cron Job Question

Post by imanahmad » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:36:30

I have a question about the use of cron job. I understand that it
executes a process at a certain schedule, but is there a way to execute
a process once there has been a change in a directory or file? If so,
how would one do such thing? If not, what can be done to execute a
process once a change has been made in a directory or file?

Cron Job Question

Post by Artemi » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:03:26

There is a daemon called "fam" - file monitor daemon.

I haven't ever used it, but I think it's what you need.

Also, if you are a C programmer - you can write your own monitor daemon.
There's a great "unix programming faq" that will guide you through this.

Quote:> I have a question about the use of cron job. I understand that it

Post by Bigdaki » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:59:06

>Subject: Cron Job Question

>Date: 7/3/03 4:36 PM Hawaiian Standard Time

>I have a question about the use of cron job. I understand that it
>executes a process at a certain schedule, but is there a way to execute
>a process once there has been a change in a directory or file?

Generally if I need to do something like that, I write a simple shell script.

You could write a C-program to do it, but why knock yourself out?

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up
requires a creationist"