Playing .au files

Post by Marcu » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I can do: cat file.au > /dev/audio  on my debian linux box. So I
thought that since cat just well.. cats a file maybe I can:
1) open the .au file
2) parse it to memory
3) send it to /dev/audio

This however doesn't seem to be the case. It doesn't work. Any ideas?
--

                        // talos / AINT
                        // www:   http://www.algonet.se/~talos

Playing .au files

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi, I can do: cat file.au > /dev/audio  on my debian linux box. So I
> thought that since cat just well.. cats a file maybe I can:
> 1) open the .au file
> 2) parse it to memory
> 3) send it to /dev/audio

Yes, this is possible. Whats the question?

Erik

"... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
-- Eric S. Raymond

Playing .au files

Post by Marcu » Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi, I can do: cat file.au > /dev/audio  on my debian linux box. So I
> > thought that since cat just well.. cats a file maybe I can:
> > 1) open the .au file
> > 2) parse it to memory
> > 3) send it to /dev/audio

> Yes, this is possible. Whats the question?

It doesn't work

--

                        // talos / AINT
                        // www:   http://www.algonet.se/~talos

1. How to play .au files (reliably)

Hi,

        This must be a FAQ but I haven't seen it anywhere and I've checked
the new Sound HOWTO.  I'm trying to play sun .au files.  There is no problem
playing files sampled at 8000Hz, mono - I can just cat them to /dev/audio.
The problem is that I want to play .au files which have  different sampling
frequencies, nos of channels, etc (this is going to support Mosiac so it
could get anything - hopefully most people who put up pages use .au format
for any bits of sound).  I have got the Sox 7 utility from Sunsite and the
vplay utility from the snd-util package.  The only way I can reliably play
.au files is to do the following pipe:

sox -t au - -t ub -r 44000 - | vplay -s 44000
(The o/p from Mosaic is piped to this)

Apart from being a terrible kludge, the conversion adds noise to 8kHz
samples.  I have read the sox7.readme file, creating the sym-link from
/dev/dsp.sbdsp to /dev/dsp and then using sox <filename> /dev/dsp.sbdsp
appears to play files sampled at 22050kHz back at 44kHz.

        Am I just being stupid and there's a really easy way to do it?

        Oh, I'm running a 0.99pl15b kernel with a Sound Blaster 16.  Every
thing else woks wonderfully, vplay will play wavs, etc with no problem, I
just can't play non 8000 Hz .au files!

        Thanks in advance for your help,

                Dale.

*  Dale Shuttleworth                                                         *
*  Dept of Elec Eng,  Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK               *

2. How to select the eth device with a XDMCP query

3. How can i play .au files?

4. Seyon 2.1.2 broken under libc.4.4.4??

5. How to play .au files

6. Backup strategies

7. Playing .au files

8. POP Server Problems

9. Can't play .au files

10. playing .au file in Mosaic

11. playing .au files through /dev/audio ??

12. Playing .au files??