How to examine core dumps

Post by u463500.. » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:52:07

Hello!

How do you examine core dumps that have been created on a different machine?
I've tried with adb and xdb but no luck.

All suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,
Henrik

--
Sent by hwallentin  from viewlocity subpart from  com

How to examine core dumps

Post by Aseem Asthan » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 10:21:52

> Hello!

> How do you examine core dumps that have been created on a different machine?
> I've tried with adb and xdb but no luck.

> All suggestions are welcome!

> Cheers,
> Henrik

Depends on what it is a core of, and if you have the source of the program that generated it, as well as the program itself on the machine that you are trying to debug it on.

Aseem.

How to examine core dumps

Post by Narendranath Nai » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 13:23:12

> > Hello!

> > How do you examine core dumps that have been created on a different machine?
> > I've tried with adb and xdb but no luck.

> > All suggestions are welcome!

> > Cheers,
> > Henrik

> Depends on what it is a core of, and if you have the source of the program
> that generated it, as well as the program itself on the machine that you
> are trying to debug it on.

I don't think that, is what the OP asked. AFAIK, niether adb, gdb or xdb
can help debug core files dumped on a different machine. It would be
quite
useful, if there was a utility like

$ sdb -p i386 core

I could run, say on a Solaris machine. where core is a core dumped on an
intel machine. Since a core file is highly machine dependent, I don't
think
such a utility exists. Can the veterans of this list throw some light?

-naren

How to examine core dumps

Post by u463500.. » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 17:18:53

Dear Narendranath Nair ,

In your posting Re: How to examine core dumps from Fri, 02 Mar 2001
09:53:12 +0530 you write:

> > > Hello!

> > > How do you examine core dumps that have been created on a different machine?
> > > I've tried with adb and xdb but no luck.

> > > All suggestions are welcome!

> > > Cheers,
> > > Henrik

> > Depends on what it is a core of, and if you have the source of the program
> > that generated it, as well as the program itself on the machine that you
> > are trying to debug it on.

> I don't think that, is what the OP asked. AFAIK, niether adb, gdb or xdb
> can help debug core files dumped on a different machine. It would be
> quite
> useful, if there was a utility like

> $ sdb -p i386 core

> I could run, say on a Solaris machine. where core is a core dumped on an
> intel machine. Since a core file is highly machine dependent, I don't
> think
> such a utility exists. Can the veterans of this list throw some light?

> -naren

The core file is created on another HP-UX 11 box and when I try to examine it
on our HP-UX 11 box adb and xdb gives me a warning that the file is machine
dependent.

It would be great to have a "flashy" program that gives me the functions
instead of trying to read asembler and registers... But that's only a whish...

Any programs that you know of would be helpful for me.

-Henrik

--
Spam protected message from:
Sent  by hwallentin from viewlocity subdomain  of  com

How to examine core dumps

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:53:18

Quote:

> I don't think that, is what the OP asked. AFAIK, niether adb, gdb or xdb
> can help debug core files dumped on a different machine. It would be
> quite
> useful, if there was a utility like

> $ sdb -p i386 core

> I could run, say on a Solaris machine. where core is a core dumped on an
> intel machine. Since a core file is highly machine dependent, I don't
> think
> such a utility exists. Can the veterans of this list throw some light?

The CD which comes with the Panic! book includes kas, which is
a structure to enable you to do this. It won't cope with intel/sparc
interworking, but should cope with handling different Solaris releases.

--
Andrew Gabriel

1. dump core or not dump core

Howdy,

Some of my programs dump core, others don't. I tried
it on RedHat 6.1 and Mandrake 7.0 with kernels 2.2.14
and 2.2.15. I tried tcsh and bash with coredumpsize
set to 1GB. It seems to be application specific.

Is there any other criteria when suppressing apart from
the type of signal and the size limitation?
The application that doesn't dump core contains signal
handlers for some signals, but not for SEGV or ABRT.

Ruppert

 Dept of Elec. & Comp. Engr.    http://alpha.ece.ucsb.edu/~ruppert
 University of California       Phone: (805) 893-7788
 Santa Barbara, CA 93106        Fax:   (805) 893-3262

2. c shell

3. core dumps core dumps everywhere...

4. Guess who's missing?

5. Get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" but no core file found

6. Logitech Trackman Marble question

7. Apache problem - core dumps (httpd.core) all over the place

8. Free shell

9. XF86_SVGA core dumped, but where is the core file?

10. why are core dumps always named "core"?

11. Examining core files

12. Without adb and sdb, how to examine core?

13. GDB dumps core when given core?